Church to close for two months for repair

Church to close for two months for repair

Church to close for two months for repair

First published in Ofsted Reports

A CHURCH in Southampton is to shut for nearly two months for repairs.

St Mary’s Church in Swaythling will be undergoing a complete rewiring costing £40,000 and have new flooring as part of a renovation programme.

The 900-year-old church will close from Tuesday, April 10. Services will be held in the neighbouring parish hall and the nearby St Albans Church until the reopening in Friday, June 1.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:02pm Tue 3 Apr 12

bigfella777 says...

It can shut for good as far as Im concerned.
It can shut for good as far as Im concerned. bigfella777
  • Score: 0

3:50pm Tue 3 Apr 12

Stillness says...

bigfella777 wrote:
It can shut for good as far as Im concerned.
Knock it down and put some more flats on the site. What do you think bigfella? Not much I would guess.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: It can shut for good as far as Im concerned.[/p][/quote]Knock it down and put some more flats on the site. What do you think bigfella? Not much I would guess. Stillness
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Tue 3 Apr 12

Georgem says...

bigfella777 wrote:
It can shut for good as far as Im concerned.
And of course, everybody cares about that...
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: It can shut for good as far as Im concerned.[/p][/quote]And of course, everybody cares about that... Georgem
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Tue 3 Apr 12

Huffter says...

bigfella777 wrote:
It can shut for good as far as Im concerned.
I can understand your point of view as I don't suppose you've ever supported the church; many others have and kept it going for 900 years.... wonder if your opinions will still be remembered in 900 years time?
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: It can shut for good as far as Im concerned.[/p][/quote]I can understand your point of view as I don't suppose you've ever supported the church; many others have and kept it going for 900 years.... wonder if your opinions will still be remembered in 900 years time? Huffter
  • Score: 0

10:19pm Tue 3 Apr 12

BillyTheKid says...

The problem you young people have to face is that you came through an education system that acknowledged everything you said and did in a positive way. If you did well, they said "excellent" ! But if you produced rubbish, they said "found challenging" or "working towards".
Worst of all, they made you feel that everything you had to say was worth hearing and had some value.
One day, soon I hope, educators and governments will realise there is a place for negative comment. People need to be told they are rubbish are certain things, and particularly when they have given an opinion that is vacuous or mundane.
All the comments here, excepting mine, are quite pointless, without any competent thought or integrity.
Why on earth do you do it ?

The reason why old churches are preserved whenever possible is because our society was built on a Christian foundation that gave us ideas on a good way to live our lives, and how to deal with problems in a mature way. The building was designed as a meeting place where the community could socialise regularly, and feel a sense of worth and of belonging. It was felt that this sense of well-being and gravitation towards an altruistic outlook on life could be achieved through worship. Even if you did not really believe in God or the bible, you could still "belong".
Now we live in a cynical, callous, selfish, uncaring world, where people are scorned for having principles. Yobs and Gobs rule, and decent folk stay out of sight.
About time we had the tenth Crusade, I think. Clear away the dross, and restore the church to its proper place : an icon for conscience.
The problem you young people have to face is that you came through an education system that acknowledged everything you said and did in a positive way. If you did well, they said "excellent" ! But if you produced rubbish, they said "found challenging" or "working towards". Worst of all, they made you feel that everything you had to say was worth hearing and had some value. One day, soon I hope, educators and governments will realise there is a place for negative comment. People need to be told they are rubbish are certain things, and particularly when they have given an opinion that is vacuous or mundane. All the comments here, excepting mine, are quite pointless, without any competent thought or integrity. Why on earth do you do it ? The reason why old churches are preserved whenever possible is because our society was built on a Christian foundation that gave us ideas on a good way to live our lives, and how to deal with problems in a mature way. The building was designed as a meeting place where the community could socialise regularly, and feel a sense of worth and of belonging. It was felt that this sense of well-being and gravitation towards an altruistic outlook on life could be achieved through worship. Even if you did not really believe in God or the bible, you could still "belong". Now we live in a cynical, callous, selfish, uncaring world, where people are scorned for having principles. Yobs and Gobs rule, and decent folk stay out of sight. About time we had the tenth Crusade, I think. Clear away the dross, and restore the church to its proper place : an icon for conscience. BillyTheKid
  • Score: 0

10:34pm Tue 3 Apr 12

Huffter says...

BillyTheKid wrote:
The problem you young people have to face is that you came through an education system that acknowledged everything you said and did in a positive way. If you did well, they said "excellent" ! But if you produced rubbish, they said "found challenging" or "working towards". Worst of all, they made you feel that everything you had to say was worth hearing and had some value. One day, soon I hope, educators and governments will realise there is a place for negative comment. People need to be told they are rubbish are certain things, and particularly when they have given an opinion that is vacuous or mundane. All the comments here, excepting mine, are quite pointless, without any competent thought or integrity. Why on earth do you do it ? The reason why old churches are preserved whenever possible is because our society was built on a Christian foundation that gave us ideas on a good way to live our lives, and how to deal with problems in a mature way. The building was designed as a meeting place where the community could socialise regularly, and feel a sense of worth and of belonging. It was felt that this sense of well-being and gravitation towards an altruistic outlook on life could be achieved through worship. Even if you did not really believe in God or the bible, you could still "belong". Now we live in a cynical, callous, selfish, uncaring world, where people are scorned for having principles. Yobs and Gobs rule, and decent folk stay out of sight. About time we had the tenth Crusade, I think. Clear away the dross, and restore the church to its proper place : an icon for conscience.
I am a Christian and certainly far from young - it's arrogant, blinkered, dogmatic attitudes like yours that put many people off the church.
[quote][p][bold]BillyTheKid[/bold] wrote: The problem you young people have to face is that you came through an education system that acknowledged everything you said and did in a positive way. If you did well, they said "excellent" ! But if you produced rubbish, they said "found challenging" or "working towards". Worst of all, they made you feel that everything you had to say was worth hearing and had some value. One day, soon I hope, educators and governments will realise there is a place for negative comment. People need to be told they are rubbish are certain things, and particularly when they have given an opinion that is vacuous or mundane. All the comments here, excepting mine, are quite pointless, without any competent thought or integrity. Why on earth do you do it ? The reason why old churches are preserved whenever possible is because our society was built on a Christian foundation that gave us ideas on a good way to live our lives, and how to deal with problems in a mature way. The building was designed as a meeting place where the community could socialise regularly, and feel a sense of worth and of belonging. It was felt that this sense of well-being and gravitation towards an altruistic outlook on life could be achieved through worship. Even if you did not really believe in God or the bible, you could still "belong". Now we live in a cynical, callous, selfish, uncaring world, where people are scorned for having principles. Yobs and Gobs rule, and decent folk stay out of sight. About time we had the tenth Crusade, I think. Clear away the dross, and restore the church to its proper place : an icon for conscience.[/p][/quote]I am a Christian and certainly far from young - it's arrogant, blinkered, dogmatic attitudes like yours that put many people off the church. Huffter
  • Score: 0

10:42pm Tue 3 Apr 12

Stillness says...

Huffter wrote:
BillyTheKid wrote:
The problem you young people have to face is that you came through an education system that acknowledged everything you said and did in a positive way. If you did well, they said "excellent" ! But if you produced rubbish, they said "found challenging" or "working towards". Worst of all, they made you feel that everything you had to say was worth hearing and had some value. One day, soon I hope, educators and governments will realise there is a place for negative comment. People need to be told they are rubbish are certain things, and particularly when they have given an opinion that is vacuous or mundane. All the comments here, excepting mine, are quite pointless, without any competent thought or integrity. Why on earth do you do it ? The reason why old churches are preserved whenever possible is because our society was built on a Christian foundation that gave us ideas on a good way to live our lives, and how to deal with problems in a mature way. The building was designed as a meeting place where the community could socialise regularly, and feel a sense of worth and of belonging. It was felt that this sense of well-being and gravitation towards an altruistic outlook on life could be achieved through worship. Even if you did not really believe in God or the bible, you could still "belong". Now we live in a cynical, callous, selfish, uncaring world, where people are scorned for having principles. Yobs and Gobs rule, and decent folk stay out of sight. About time we had the tenth Crusade, I think. Clear away the dross, and restore the church to its proper place : an icon for conscience.
I am a Christian and certainly far from young - it's arrogant, blinkered, dogmatic attitudes like yours that put many people off the church.
A christian calling someone dogmatic? I've heard it all now.
[quote][p][bold]Huffter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BillyTheKid[/bold] wrote: The problem you young people have to face is that you came through an education system that acknowledged everything you said and did in a positive way. If you did well, they said "excellent" ! But if you produced rubbish, they said "found challenging" or "working towards". Worst of all, they made you feel that everything you had to say was worth hearing and had some value. One day, soon I hope, educators and governments will realise there is a place for negative comment. People need to be told they are rubbish are certain things, and particularly when they have given an opinion that is vacuous or mundane. All the comments here, excepting mine, are quite pointless, without any competent thought or integrity. Why on earth do you do it ? The reason why old churches are preserved whenever possible is because our society was built on a Christian foundation that gave us ideas on a good way to live our lives, and how to deal with problems in a mature way. The building was designed as a meeting place where the community could socialise regularly, and feel a sense of worth and of belonging. It was felt that this sense of well-being and gravitation towards an altruistic outlook on life could be achieved through worship. Even if you did not really believe in God or the bible, you could still "belong". Now we live in a cynical, callous, selfish, uncaring world, where people are scorned for having principles. Yobs and Gobs rule, and decent folk stay out of sight. About time we had the tenth Crusade, I think. Clear away the dross, and restore the church to its proper place : an icon for conscience.[/p][/quote]I am a Christian and certainly far from young - it's arrogant, blinkered, dogmatic attitudes like yours that put many people off the church.[/p][/quote]A christian calling someone dogmatic? I've heard it all now. Stillness
  • Score: 0

10:46pm Tue 3 Apr 12

BillyTheKid says...

Huffter wrote:
BillyTheKid wrote:
The problem you young people have to face is that you came through an education system that acknowledged everything you said and did in a positive way. If you did well, they said "excellent" ! But if you produced rubbish, they said "found challenging" or "working towards". Worst of all, they made you feel that everything you had to say was worth hearing and had some value. One day, soon I hope, educators and governments will realise there is a place for negative comment. People need to be told they are rubbish are certain things, and particularly when they have given an opinion that is vacuous or mundane. All the comments here, excepting mine, are quite pointless, without any competent thought or integrity. Why on earth do you do it ? The reason why old churches are preserved whenever possible is because our society was built on a Christian foundation that gave us ideas on a good way to live our lives, and how to deal with problems in a mature way. The building was designed as a meeting place where the community could socialise regularly, and feel a sense of worth and of belonging. It was felt that this sense of well-being and gravitation towards an altruistic outlook on life could be achieved through worship. Even if you did not really believe in God or the bible, you could still "belong". Now we live in a cynical, callous, selfish, uncaring world, where people are scorned for having principles. Yobs and Gobs rule, and decent folk stay out of sight. About time we had the tenth Crusade, I think. Clear away the dross, and restore the church to its proper place : an icon for conscience.
I am a Christian and certainly far from young - it's arrogant, blinkered, dogmatic attitudes like yours that put many people off the church.
And you have achieved what, hufter, with what I suppose must be your humble, all-encompassing, broadminded attitudes ?
To say that I am arrogant, blinkered and dogmatic on the basis of what I have said would indicate that you have not understood what I have said, nor the purpose of it. I doubt if you've done anything of true Christian value in this life, have you ?
[quote][p][bold]Huffter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BillyTheKid[/bold] wrote: The problem you young people have to face is that you came through an education system that acknowledged everything you said and did in a positive way. If you did well, they said "excellent" ! But if you produced rubbish, they said "found challenging" or "working towards". Worst of all, they made you feel that everything you had to say was worth hearing and had some value. One day, soon I hope, educators and governments will realise there is a place for negative comment. People need to be told they are rubbish are certain things, and particularly when they have given an opinion that is vacuous or mundane. All the comments here, excepting mine, are quite pointless, without any competent thought or integrity. Why on earth do you do it ? The reason why old churches are preserved whenever possible is because our society was built on a Christian foundation that gave us ideas on a good way to live our lives, and how to deal with problems in a mature way. The building was designed as a meeting place where the community could socialise regularly, and feel a sense of worth and of belonging. It was felt that this sense of well-being and gravitation towards an altruistic outlook on life could be achieved through worship. Even if you did not really believe in God or the bible, you could still "belong". Now we live in a cynical, callous, selfish, uncaring world, where people are scorned for having principles. Yobs and Gobs rule, and decent folk stay out of sight. About time we had the tenth Crusade, I think. Clear away the dross, and restore the church to its proper place : an icon for conscience.[/p][/quote]I am a Christian and certainly far from young - it's arrogant, blinkered, dogmatic attitudes like yours that put many people off the church.[/p][/quote]And you have achieved what, hufter, with what I suppose must be your humble, all-encompassing, broadminded attitudes ? To say that I am arrogant, blinkered and dogmatic on the basis of what I have said would indicate that you have not understood what I have said, nor the purpose of it. I doubt if you've done anything of true Christian value in this life, have you ? BillyTheKid
  • Score: 0

10:52pm Tue 3 Apr 12

BillyTheKid says...

You have an "eye" for the ironic, stillness ! Know where you're coming from......very witty !
You have an "eye" for the ironic, stillness ! Know where you're coming from......very witty ! BillyTheKid
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree