HAMPSHIRE’S top crime-fighter, Simon Hayes, wants your views on a range of sanctions for low-level crimes.

The Community Remedy (Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014), introduced by the Government, is designed to provide a range of more effective measures through out-of-court settlements.

Its supporters say the new law places victims at the heart of the criminal justice system because it gives them a say in the punishment of the offender. Working closely with victims and the police, the aim of Community Remedy is to administer fair, open punishments, delivering more rapid justice for the victim, with the offender facing immediate consequences for their crime.

Speaking about Community Remedy, Simon Hayes Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire, said: “This new legislation fits well with my police and crime plan.

“I pledged to address the impact of anti-social behaviour in our communities by working in partnership to reduce it. “Under Community Remedy and with the public feedback, I will develop with the Chief Constable a Community Remedy menu that is victim-focused and reflects the wishes of local people.”

Community Remedy will only be used for first-time offenders when low-level crimes can be better dealt with out of court, either as part of an informal community resolution, or with a more formal conditional police caution.

This approach will only be used when the victim is in full agreement, for crimes like criminal damage, petty theft, minor assaults and anti-social behaviour. Police will then invite the victim to choose an appropriate sanction from the Community Remedy menu.

Once this has been agreed, the offender will then be given the option to either accept that punishment, or choose to face the more formal police action.

In order to contribute to the public consultation go online to the Commissioner’s website which can be found at www.surveymonkey.com/s/79VL3XNcommunityremedy.

The consultation will be running until Sunday, September 14. Hard copies of the survey are available from the commissioner’s office and can be ordered by telephoning the office on 01962 871595.