FIREFIGHTERS rescued the occupant of a flat in Cuffs Lane, Tisbury.

Fire crews from Tisbury and Shaftesbury were called to reports of a smoke alarm sounding at about 2.41am today (Saturday).

Following further investigation the crews located a smell of burning coming from a flat and forced entry.

A spokesman for Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "One occupant was removed from the property and given first aid and oxygen by the crew. A fire involving cooking was extinguished by removal.

"The property was ventilated by the crew and an ambulance requested for the occupant who was suffering smoke inhalation."