A FIRE that ripped through a Durrington house on Tuesday is believed to have been caused by a tumble dryer.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident in Windsor Mews at about 11.10am, where they found a well-developed fire on the ground floor, which was spreading to the first floor.

Two fire crews from Salisbury attended along with a crew from Amesbury and an aerial ladder appliance from Basingstoke.

Most of the terraced property has been significantly damaged.

Group manager Tim Gray said that the fire had started accidentally in a tumble dryer, adding: “While what exactly caused this fire to start remains under investigation, it is a sharp reminder that tumble dryers and washing machines carry a real fire risk – for example, they contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that can get very hot.

"We would always urge anyone who owns such machines to do all they can to reduce the risk of fire, through regular cleaning and maintenance.”