If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Miracle dog Squibby survives deadly toxin
MEET Squibby – the miracle Jack Russell that managed to survive the deadly toxin killing dogs in the Forest.
The tough terrier, aged four, is one of only two dogs known to have survived after becoming ill, although it took five weeks for the toxin to leave her blood as she fought for for her life.
Owners Marie-Anne and Henry Richardson often walked Squibby and their Labrador Gemma from Ogdens car park, where the outbreak seems to be centred.
A renal expert in Texas is still studying blood from some of the dogs who have died after being walked in the area, then developing a sore paw or leg and succumbing to acute kidney failure.
In the case of Squibby, the Richardsons were lucky that their vets had seen similar cases and sent her straight to specialists Anderson Moores in Winchester.
Mrs Richardson said: “She was extremely lucky.
“Suddenly on the Friday her paw became incredibly painful and swollen.
“We took her to Forest Vets, who gave her antibiotics, but by Tuesday she started not wanting to go out or to eat, and she vomited.
“She was sick again twice that night and we took her to the vet again in the morning and they sent us straight to Winchester. She was on a drip for nine days after that, and it was five weeks before her toenail fell out and there was no sign of the toxin in her blood.
“She didn’t feel very well for weeks because what-ever this is also causes ulcers in the stomach.”
Experts still do not know what the toxin is, but suspect it is soil- or waterborne.
Two devastated owners told the Journal last week of their pets’ sudden deaths due to the toxin, and Duncan Reavell of Lynwood Veterinary Group, Verwood, and Roger Stobbs of Forest Vets, Ringwood, are both trying to track down the cause.
Mrs Richardson said: “We aren’t walking from Ogdens at the moment to be on the safe side, though other cases have been reported in Ashley Heath and Calshot.
“We would just hate it to happen to anyone else’s dogs.”
THERE is no news on tests being run to find the cause of the outbreak so far.
Anyone who recognises the symptoms in their dog should seek urgent treatment.