If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Former countess sues bank for £93K loss
10:00am Friday 23rd August 2013 in Headlines
THE former Countess of Normanton Victoria Chadwick is suing her bank in Gstaad, claiming it transferred £93,000 of her money to fraudsters.
She claims her account was cleared out in five transactions to banks in Australia, America and two branches of NatWest in London eight months ago, yet she has not received a penny in compensation, despite the fraud squad in London and Interpol being involved.
Mrs Chadwick, who was married to the Earl of Normanton for 30 years, told the Daily Mail that her Swiss bank manager called her as she was on a day out with her grandchildren in Battersea Park to ask her if the transfers he had made were correct.
She said: “I asked him: ‘What transfers?’ I was absolutely shocked. I became hysterical. You can imagine.”
Mrs Chadwick, whose son James, 30, will become the 7th Earl of Normanton and will inherit the 7,000-acre Somerley estate near Ringwood, said: “The fraud squad told me that accounts the money was transferred to were emptied immediately.”
Mrs Chadwick is now married to Angelina Ballerina publisher Tim Chadwick.
She added: “The sums were huge and red flags should have immediately flashed up.
“The bank manager says he did email me but as my email had been hacked I never received it.”
Mrs Chadwick previously sued the wealth management division of another Swiss bank, UBS, for breach of duty after £650,000 of her divorce settlement from Lord Normanton was lost, she claims, because of poor advice.
Saanen’s chief executive Jurg von Allmen told the Mail: “Our clients’ affairs are secret so I cannot comment.”
Comments are closed on this article.