If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Woman, 72, died from MRSA bug at hospital, inquest hears
A PENSIONER who was being treated at Salisbury District Hospital for burns after dropping a kettle of boiling water on herself died after contracting the MRSA superbug, an inquest heard.
Joan Heather Cadwallader, 72, dropped a kettle of boiling water when she was making herself a drink at her sheltered accommodation in Uppleby Road, Poole, on February 9 last year.
She suffered seven per cent burns to her face, neck, back, hands and arm, and was taken to A&E at Poole Hospital. The following day she was transferred to the burns unit at Salisbury District Hospital and was given a blood transfusion.
Ms Cadwallader began to deteriorate on February 19, which was her birthday, and it appeared as though she had gone into septic shock. Swabs were taken but at that stage there were no concerns that she had contracted MRSA. The results showed she had an infection and she was given antibiotics. MRSA was detected on February 22 and her medication was changed but she died at 6.40am the following day.
An inquest into Ms Cadwallader’s death, held at Salisbury Coroners Court on Tuesday, heard no one else on the ward had contracted MRSA.
Tracey Nutter, director of infection prevention and control, told the inquest that investigations showed that Ms Cadwallader had a virulent strain of MRSA which is normally found in the community.
“We acted quite quickly and investigated and screened many patients and staff members to find the index source but we didn’t find it,” said Ms Nutter.
She said that the hospital continues to have numerous procedures in place to prevent outbreaks.
David Ridley, coroner for Wiltshire and Swindon, said: “Hospitals do what they can to avoid such infections but it is impossible to negate it completely, there is always a risk.”
He recorded a narrative verdict.
Comments are closed on this article.