Shrine started fire

First published in Headlines by

FIRE crews were called to a flat in Salisbury on Saturday after oil burners and candles lit in a cupboard as part of a shrine caused a fire.

Two crews from Salisbury Fire Station were called to the home in Kings Road after smoke alarms sounded.

Station manager Mike Bagnall said: “While we understand that many people want to celebrate their religious beliefs, we have to urge caution when this involves anything with a naked flame. “On this occasion, the fire was small and the main issue was smoke, but it could have easily been far worse. We would encourage everyone to follow our simple advice, and to make sure they have working smoke alarms.”

People are advised to ensure candles or burners are never left unattended and are secured in fire resistant holders away from furniture and curtains.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree