If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Record entries for Verwood's spring show
A RECORD number of entries – with a 30ft by 7ft display of daffodils – filled Verwood’s Memorial Hall with scent on Saturday.
Spring show manager Leigh Craig says they need an extension or a mezzanine floor to accommodate the show if it keeps growing at this rate.
Verwood Horticultural Society received 442 entries from 64 people, with 143 of those entries for the daffodils sections.
Mr Craig said: “Interest in homecraft is picking up year on year, but it was the daffs this year that made it so big.
“They took the whole middle section of our hall, with singles, doubles, bunches and vases – it looked a picture.
“Then there was the smell of the hyacinths. The door was closed for two hours for judging and when we opened the doors the perfume really hit you.”
He added: “Until we moved to Verwood we’d lived in flats all our lives.
“But we joined the society and worked our way up. We have 175 members, and meet monthly with speakers. We also have skittle evenings and trips out and socials – we’re a very busy little group.”
- Best exhibit narcissi Tony Beard.
- Highest points flowers and plants Bill Howarth.
- Best exhibit in flowers and plants Bill Howarth.
- Highest points flower arranging Margaret Cannon.
- Best exhibit flower arranging Margaret Cannon.
- Men only flower arranging Dave Cannon.
- Best exhibit homecraft Lesley Swaffield.
- Best exhibit handicraft Sonia Wyld.
- Best use of garden material in flower arranging Freda Harper.
Comments are closed on this article.