£300,000 more funding for youth initiatives - "found from the clubs' own accounts"

£300,000 more funding for youth initiatives -

£300,000 more funding for youth initiatives - "found from the clubs' own accounts"

First published in Headlines Salisbury Journal: Photograph of the Author by

COUNCIL bosses who are axing the county’s youth service have announced £300,000 “more funding” to ease the transition to “community-led” activities for young people.

But Liberal Democrats say much of this money was already in the accounts of youth centres that are being forced to close.

And it was raised by young people themselves to help pay for activities and equipment, or came from grants allocated to specific youth projects.

The rest had been set aside for youth centre maintenance.

And the cash will not be shared out evenly.

Instead it will be returned to the areas it came from.

So some places will get thousands of pounds more than others.

The LibDems say this is unfair.

They are furious because last Tuesday their leader Jon Hubbard urged the Tories who control Wiltshire Council to invest an extra £225,000, saved on executive salaries, in making sure the changeover is as painless as possible.

But they refused, saying that was not the point of making savings.

The next day, cabinet member Laura Mayes announced the “further funding” of £300,000 in “locally raised money”.

It was more than the entire amount–- £270,000 – previously allocated to be shared out by area boards countywide from October.

Cllr Hubbard said “They effectively admitted they’d got it all wrong.

"And to describe this funding as new is simply a despicable misrepresentation of the truth.

“It leaves a really unpleasant taste in the mouth.

“The dishonesty of this process is one that shames me as a councillor.

“But at least it will reduce the harm done by the bungled programme of cuts.”

Cllr Hubbard is now asking what will happen to all the equipment in youth centres that close, and to any youth funding unspent by area boards at the year’s end.

No councillor was available to answer our questions, but a Wiltshire Council spokesman said the money was “already within the local areas” and |communities would decide how to spend it.

They added: “It could help pay for any set-up costs as communities work with young people to ensure they have activities they enjoy.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:33am Sat 9 Aug 14

hillyanne says...

Oh.For heavens sake!
Please will someone with the "clout/know-how" start a petition to give us(back) a South Wiltshire Authority?This latest episode says it all,really.
Oh.For heavens sake! Please will someone with the "clout/know-how" start a petition to give us(back) a South Wiltshire Authority?This latest episode says it all,really. hillyanne
  • Score: 7

8:52am Sat 9 Aug 14

gingin says...

"No Councillors were available for comment" > well that makes a change they usually can't wait to here their own voices!!

A WC spokesperson said--blah blah > nothing new there either.

This is horrendous, those involved should resign. The youth deserve much better than WC and it's inept policies.

"Wiltshire Council Where Everybody Matters" > Isn't that the truth not.
"No Councillors were available for comment" > well that makes a change they usually can't wait to here their own voices!! A WC spokesperson said--blah blah > nothing new there either. This is horrendous, those involved should resign. The youth deserve much better than WC and it's inept policies. "Wiltshire Council Where Everybody Matters" > Isn't that the truth not. gingin
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree