If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Banned driver denies perverting justice after teenager’s death
1:36pm Wednesday 18th September 2013 in New Forest News
THE man who has pleaded guilty to causing the death of Ringwood teenager Jade Clark by dangerous driving has denied perverting the course of justice.
Bournemouth Crown Court heard health and safety executive Brian Hampton, 58, hit the 16-year-old, who was on her moped on the A31 at Ringwood at 8.15pm on February 24.
He then drove off, leaving her lying injured in the road to be hit by oncoming traffic.
Hampton, of Hornash Lane in Shadoxhurst, Ashford, Kent, is accused of perverting the course of justice by paying for his Volvo XC90 to be repaired at a garage following the collision in an attempt to cover up what had happened.
He has previously admitted causing death by careless driving, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance.
Prosecutor Simon Jones told Bournemouth Crown Court that Jade’s moped was “swallowed up and pushed along the carriageway” by Hampton’s car.
“Jade fell into the middle of the carriageway,” he said.
“The defendant drove around her. That left her exposed to the fast moving traffic.”
A motorist driving a VW minibus was unable to avoid hitting her, having no time to react, the court heard.
Jade suffered catastrophic head injuries and died at the scene.
Mr Jones said: “It was his (Hampton’s) duty to stop.
“What the defendant did was to seek to evade justice and pervert the course of justice by arranging for the damage to his vehicle to be subsequently repaired.”
Mr Jones said Hampton, already banned for drink driving told his wife car had broken down the morning after the crash and checked into a Holiday Inn in Kent on the following two nights.
He then took the car to a garage where he told staff he had hit a deer, but they were suspicious there was no blood or fur on the front.
The repairs to the vehicle included work on the bonnet, bumper, grille and radiator.
Mr Jones said: “He did this with one purpose in mind – that being to ensure there could be no link between him, his vehicle and the collision that occurred on the A31 that day.”
The jury saw CCTV footage of Hampton arriving at the Holes Bay Premier Inn on the night of the crash and examining the front of his car in the car park. The following afternoon he spent five minutes trying to open the bonnet.
The trial continues.