Six crew and a fire engine sent to snuff out a candle

Salisbury Journal: Fordingbridge station manager Pete White Fordingbridge station manager Pete White

SIX fire fighters raced to a Ringwood restaurant and climbed through an open first storey window... to snuff out a candle.

A passer-by dialled 999 after seeing a flickering candle left alight in Al Trullo, on Christchurch Road, at about 11.55pm last Tuesday.

Restaurant manager Vinnie Kurti told the Forest Journal that he was very relieved the fire crew had put out the candle.

He said: “We forgot to blow out one candle, which is easily done, but fortunately a passer-by saw it through the window and rang the fire brigade.

“We didn’t know anything about it until the following day when a fireman came in and explained what had happened.”

The cost of turning out one fire engine and six crew to the incident totalled £292.

Fordingbridge Fire Station crew manager Pete White said: “A passer-by raised the alarm. The candle was put out to prevent any possible fire being caused throughout the night. No damage had been caused.”

Mr White added: “Just one appliance was used and there were six firefighters.”

A Hampshire Fire Service spokesman said: “We attended an incident on November 26 just before midnight at a restaurant on Christchurch Road, Ringwood.

“A member of the public had called 999 as they were concerned that a candle had been left burning next to ignitable materials after the restaurant had closed.

“As no key holder could be located, one pump from Ringwood was sent to investigate and, due to the potential fire risk and with residents asleep in the flats above the restaurant, the crew entered the property to extinguish the candle.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree