Flooded homeowners urged to apply for grant cash

First published in New Forest News by

HOMEOWNERS who have been affected by flooding in Hampshire will be able to apply for up to £5,000 towards putting in measures to make their properties better protected.

The Government’s Repair and Renew grant is available to residents whose houses were affected by flooding between December 1 and March 31.

Businesses and charitable organisations are also eligible to claim where day-to-day business was affected by flooding during the same period.

The grant application form sets out what measures are eligible and includes works such as altering floors and moving electrics, waterproofing external walls and installing a garage or driveway barrier.

The scheme allows homeowners to join together collaboratively to apply for funding for measures which may be more suitable for a number of properties, with each property eligible for up to £5,000 each.

Applications can be made to district, borough or city councils now. People considering making an application are advised to check on the National Flood Forum’s Property Protection Advisor so see what measures might be needed in their particular case, and what these might cost. Alternatively, people may choose to commission a professional survey ahead of making an application, for which up to £500 can be claimed back as part of the overall grant.

Trading Standards would advise consumers not to agree to work that is instigated as a result of a cold call or via a leaflet drop. Residents are advised to obtain at least three written quotes from reputable businesses or traders who are either members of the Hampshire County Council Trading Standards Buy with Confidence Scheme or a recognised trade association.

Contact 01962 833620, or email buy.with.confidence@hants.gov.uk or go to www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk for a list.

The Repair and Renew Grant is part of a package of measures recently announced by Government to help homeowners and businesses affected by flooding. Residents affected by flooding may also eligible for council tax discounts and some businesses could be eligible for business rates flooding relief as well as grant assistance under the Business Support Scheme, which provides hardship funding for small and medium sized businesses in areas affected by the floods.

The scheme is being administered and delivered by local authorities. For more details see www.hants.gov.uk.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree