If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Fordingbridge planning inquiry cancelled
A PLANNING inquiry that was set to be held on Tuesday (April 29) was cancelled after two brothers withdrew their appeal live on agricultural land near Fordingbridge.
Brothers Felix and Miles Connors launched their appeal after New Forest District Council rejected their bid to live in caravans with their families on the land at Marl Lane.
The plan sparked fury among residents and attracted 300 letters of protest last year.
The inquiry was due to take place at 10am at Fordingbridge Town Hall where a planning inspector appointed by the Government was set to examine their case and hear objections.
Locals said they feared the plan would set a precedent that could lead to dozens of caravans on the land, which is used by dog walkers and horse riders.
However, the brothers wanted to use the land for two mobile homes, with new access and entrance gates, an amenity block, stable block, hardstanding and parking.
And they said that a permanent site would allow them to put down roots and access healthcare and schooling for their children.
Fordingbridge Mayor Malcolm Connolly said: “I think from our point of view the news is welcome. The residents were vehemently against the plan.
“The town council had put in their local plan that this was an area of outstanding beauty that should be preserved for walking, dog walkers, horse riders and recreational pursuits, however we do understand the need for Gypsy sites where people can settle, but they have to make their do this in line with council policy.”
Comments are closed on this article.