If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Youngster scalded by hot shower at swimming pool
A HOLIDAY swimming trip ended in disaster when a six-year-old boy was scalded by the showers at Durrington swimming pool.
Little Mostyn Wilde had been taken swimming by a friend’s mother last Monday but left the pool in tears after his skin was burned by the water coming from one of the showers.
His mother Anna has complained to Wiltshire Council and the swimming pool’s manager, and is calling for staff to take care so it doesn’t happen again.
“Apparently he got into the shower and leapt out again shouting ‘it’s too hot’,” she said.
“He was very distressed and upset.
“When he got home I noticed red marks all over his body, which seem to have been caused by the hot water.”
Although Mostyn didn’t require medical treatment, the marks were sore and his mother used aloe vera to sooth them.
He has now made a full recovery but his angry mother hopes Wiltshire Council, which runs the pool, will take the incident seriously.
“It ruined his swimming trip,” she said.
“It is unacceptable – there must be lots of other young children and elderly people who use those showers and I’d hate to think of it happening to anybody else.
“I hope it was just a oneoff thing but they need to make sure that the water is always a safe temperature. It must have been pretty hot to hurt him like that.”
A Wiltshire Council spokesman said: “We apologise for any distress this may have caused. However ,more than 200 other people used Durrington swimming pool on Monday and Tuesday last week and none of them commented to staff about the temperature of the showers.
“If anyone has any complaints about the facilities at our leisure centres we would encourage them to contact the centre manager as soon as possible.”
Comments are closed on this article.