If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Drunken yob banned from city centre pubs
A DRUNKEN yob has become first person in the county to be given an order banning him from entering any licensed premises in Salisbury city centre for a year.
Mark Behan, 23, is also banned from entering Milford Street or Catherine Street between 7pm and 6am on Fridays, Saturdays and public holidays.
Wiltshire Council applied for the drinking banning order as Behan, of Sarum Close, Salisbury had been repeatedly arrested for being drunk and disorderly and for antisocial behaviour in the last few months.
Salisbury Magistrates Court heard on Tuesday that Behan becomes abusive when he drinks excessively and he has been kicked out of bars in Salisbury, including The Chapel, Zoo and Music Box, during nights out.
He has been in a number of fights, been abusive to other revellers, police officers and door staff, and damaged property in the area. Behan told the court: “I obviously haven’t really got an excuse for my actions. I was drunk and I’m clearly a bit of an idiot when I’m drunk. I’m generally not like that as a character.”
He told magistrates he is a “completely different person” when sober. “I can see where they are coming from,” he said. “I was wasting police time. They’ve probably got better things to do than every single week looking out for me,” he said.
“I do apologise for what I’ve done and I wish I could apologise to the people it’s affected as well.”
Magistrates imposed the drinking banning order but gave Behan the opportunity to complete a course which would half the length of the order. Insp Andy Noble of Salisbury Police said: “Salisbury Neighbourhood Team and partners review all offending linked to alcohol on a fortnightly basis.
“Mr Behan is an individual convicted of a number of minor offences but has repeatedly failed to change his behaviour. We will actively pursue those causing harm linked to alcohol.”
Comments are closed on this article.