Calls for missing names to be added to war memorial

Calls for missing names to be added to war memorial

Calls for missing names to be added to war memorial

First published in News
Last updated
by

A FORMER Salisbury councillor and mayor is calling for the names of 47 soldiers killed in the First World War on Salisbury’s memorial by the end of 2014.

This year marks the 100th anniversary of the start of the conflict and Bobbie Chettleburgh, formerly a city councillor for St Martin’s & Cathedral ward, is going to propose to Salisbury City Council that the names of 47 local soldiers who were left off the memorial should be added in the anniversary year.

Mrs Chettleburgh and her husband Malcolm conducted research during her mayoral year back in 2003 and discovered that a number of names had been missed off when the memorial was originally made.

They produced a Book of Remembrance, which is on display in St Thomas’s Church, but Mrs Chettleburgh wants to see the names added to the memorial in the Guildhall Square as well.

“It would be nice if we could get them on it, especially this year,” she said. “I think it would be a good thing for the people of Salisbury. All of our research is available to look at in the library and it’s interesting because so many of the little streets where these men were from just don’t exist anymore.”

Ken Smith, who is working with Salisbury & South Wiltshire Museum to mark the 100th anniversary war, and is also keen to see the names added.

He said: “When it was inaugurated in 1921, it may be that these men’s fates weren’t known at the time.

“It would be wonderful if some time this year these men’s names were added. They should be with them.”

He said when the original memorial was made, public subscription was collected to pay for it, with people contributing anything from two shillings to 500 pouncs. “Everyone gave what they could,” he added.

Salisbury City Council is responsible for the memorial, and Mrs Chettleburgh plans to raise the proposal at the next full council meeting on January 20. If councillors agree the plans, the proposal would then have to go through the proper committees and be included in the budget.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:15am Wed 8 Jan 14

Richard Clewer says...

An excellent idea. We did look at adding the names of soldiers from the Second World War along with the extra First World War names during the market place works. This was strongly supported by residents in the consultation work.

It turned out to be a complex process to add to a War Memorial requiring several levels of permission. I was told by officers it would probably take over a year to get the permissions and possibly more and as a result we were not able to tie it into the Market Place works. As the Parish authority, the City Council is the best body to get this done and if the request comes from them it will help it through the permission process.
An excellent idea. We did look at adding the names of soldiers from the Second World War along with the extra First World War names during the market place works. This was strongly supported by residents in the consultation work. It turned out to be a complex process to add to a War Memorial requiring several levels of permission. I was told by officers it would probably take over a year to get the permissions and possibly more and as a result we were not able to tie it into the Market Place works. As the Parish authority, the City Council is the best body to get this done and if the request comes from them it will help it through the permission process. Richard Clewer
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree