New mayor is chosen

Salisbury Journal: Jo Broom Jo Broom

SALISBURY City Council has chosen the next mayor and deputy mayor.

At a full council meeting in the Guildhall on Monday, members voted for the current deputy, Cllr Jo Broom, to take over from Mayor Penny Brown when her year in office comes to an end.

They also voted for Cllr Andrew Roberts to be her deputy.

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:12pm Tue 21 Jan 14

cactus Joe says...

Um wasn't this the lady that only last year a few weeks after she was elected swapped parties? Letting down everyone who had voted for her? Should she even be a city councillor let alone major?
Um wasn't this the lady that only last year a few weeks after she was elected swapped parties? Letting down everyone who had voted for her? Should she even be a city councillor let alone major? cactus Joe

7:13pm Tue 21 Jan 14

cactus Joe says...

I meant to say Mayor not major!
I meant to say Mayor not major! cactus Joe

8:41pm Tue 21 Jan 14

Sustainer says...

This is a lady who has represented ALL the people of her Ward for some 7 years whether they are of the same party or not.. With her sense off service she will make a wonderful Mayor. I wonder what Cactus Joe has done for his community?
This is a lady who has represented ALL the people of her Ward for some 7 years whether they are of the same party or not.. With her sense off service she will make a wonderful Mayor. I wonder what Cactus Joe has done for his community? Sustainer

8:29am Wed 22 Jan 14

cactus Joe says...

Sustainer wrote:
This is a lady who has represented ALL the people of her Ward for some 7 years whether they are of the same party or not.. With her sense off service she will make a wonderful Mayor. I wonder what Cactus Joe has done for his community?
Sorry my fault I hadn't realised it's ok if you've done some years in local governance you can change your politics overnight and it doesn't matter about the people who voted for you........ and for the record as it appears to be the length of the time that you have held your job that is important here, I've done 17 years serving the local public. Oh and I haven't oddly changed my political beliefs overnight.

It's morally wrong in my opinion for her to be mayor.
[quote][p][bold]Sustainer[/bold] wrote: This is a lady who has represented ALL the people of her Ward for some 7 years whether they are of the same party or not.. With her sense off service she will make a wonderful Mayor. I wonder what Cactus Joe has done for his community?[/p][/quote]Sorry my fault I hadn't realised it's ok if you've done some years in local governance you can change your politics overnight and it doesn't matter about the people who voted for you........ and for the record as it appears to be the length of the time that you have held your job that is important here, I've done 17 years serving the local public. Oh and I haven't oddly changed my political beliefs overnight. It's morally wrong in my opinion for her to be mayor. cactus Joe

10:36am Wed 22 Jan 14

Sustainer says...

CJ,
I applaud your public service but imagine you don't only serve those you like or who have similar views. The point I was trying to make about the Mayor's role is that it transcends party affiliations and represents all the people of the City not just those who voted in a particular Ward. This is demonstrated by the fact that the Mayor is elected by his/her fellow councillors and not the general public.
Interestingly, Churchill swapped sides 3 times whichis probably why he was never Mayor of Salisbury.
CJ, I applaud your public service but imagine you don't only serve those you like or who have similar views. The point I was trying to make about the Mayor's role is that it transcends party affiliations and represents all the people of the City not just those who voted in a particular Ward. This is demonstrated by the fact that the Mayor is elected by his/her fellow councillors and not the general public. Interestingly, Churchill swapped sides 3 times whichis probably why he was never Mayor of Salisbury. Sustainer

10:45am Wed 22 Jan 14

Richard Clewer says...

I would much rather see the City Council not being elected on a party political basis. The sniping that goes on at current City Council meetings between parties is a major dis-incentive to members of the public attending from what they have said to me.

I think we need people who are keen to improve the city, not attack people just because they support a different Westminster Party.

The cross party sniping is much worse at City Hall than that at County Hall which I find both strange and discordant.
I would much rather see the City Council not being elected on a party political basis. The sniping that goes on at current City Council meetings between parties is a major dis-incentive to members of the public attending from what they have said to me. I think we need people who are keen to improve the city, not attack people just because they support a different Westminster Party. The cross party sniping is much worse at City Hall than that at County Hall which I find both strange and discordant. Richard Clewer

8:03pm Wed 22 Jan 14

DomImms says...

I would echo that Richard. Political alliance should make no difference to someone's qualities as an ambassador of the city.

However I wonder how many people simply vote along party lines as opposed to individual qualities and achievements. If someone voted specifically for the cllr as a individual then the party represented is neither here nor there. However if it were a general vote in confidence for a Westminster party then I would say there would be a genuine gripe in that that cited specifically voted for their chosen party in the locality.

I agree that party snipes and cross fighting is a major turn off for most. However a broad understanding of where on the spectrum a candidate sits is useful for the electorate. I think it would be hard not to have political parties in the parish council as I think the alternative would be confusion and ultimately a lower turnout.

As for whether cllr Broom was right or wrong in changing parties, the next election will decide if it's really an issue or not.
I would echo that Richard. Political alliance should make no difference to someone's qualities as an ambassador of the city. However I wonder how many people simply vote along party lines as opposed to individual qualities and achievements. If someone voted specifically for the cllr as a individual then the party represented is neither here nor there. However if it were a general vote in confidence for a Westminster party then I would say there would be a genuine gripe in that that cited specifically voted for their chosen party in the locality. I agree that party snipes and cross fighting is a major turn off for most. However a broad understanding of where on the spectrum a candidate sits is useful for the electorate. I think it would be hard not to have political parties in the parish council as I think the alternative would be confusion and ultimately a lower turnout. As for whether cllr Broom was right or wrong in changing parties, the next election will decide if it's really an issue or not. DomImms

4:56pm Thu 23 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

Richard Clewer wrote:
I would much rather see the City Council not being elected on a party political basis. The sniping that goes on at current City Council meetings between parties is a major dis-incentive to members of the public attending from what they have said to me.

I think we need people who are keen to improve the city, not attack people just because they support a different Westminster Party.

The cross party sniping is much worse at City Hall than that at County Hall which I find both strange and discordant.
However, the outcomes DO in fact reflect political allegiances.
Less for more.
Examples: less
No police station
No bus station
No coach station
No Hillcote
No usable roads
No parking
Less rubbish collections

Examples: more
Council tax
Police portion of council tax
Parking charges

I'm sure there's more but, you get the picture.
[quote][p][bold]Richard Clewer[/bold] wrote: I would much rather see the City Council not being elected on a party political basis. The sniping that goes on at current City Council meetings between parties is a major dis-incentive to members of the public attending from what they have said to me. I think we need people who are keen to improve the city, not attack people just because they support a different Westminster Party. The cross party sniping is much worse at City Hall than that at County Hall which I find both strange and discordant.[/p][/quote]However, the outcomes DO in fact reflect political allegiances. Less for more. Examples: less No police station No bus station No coach station No Hillcote No usable roads No parking Less rubbish collections Examples: more Council tax Police portion of council tax Parking charges I'm sure there's more but, you get the picture. karlmarx

5:06pm Thu 23 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

Should we not warn Mayors of other nearby towns and cities to be prepared to repel someone with a tendency to jump ship at the first opportunity?
Should we not warn Mayors of other nearby towns and cities to be prepared to repel someone with a tendency to jump ship at the first opportunity? karlmarx

6:56pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Schoolmum999 says...

I recall having a conversation with my in-laws about Ms Broom when she changed parties very soon after being elected. Having both voted for her, they felt cheated and now for her to be rewarded and made mayor is just wrong. Bad show.
I recall having a conversation with my in-laws about Ms Broom when she changed parties very soon after being elected. Having both voted for her, they felt cheated and now for her to be rewarded and made mayor is just wrong. Bad show. Schoolmum999

9:02am Fri 24 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

Richard Clewer wrote:
I would much rather see the City Council not being elected on a party political basis. The sniping that goes on at current City Council meetings between parties is a major dis-incentive to members of the public attending from what they have said to me.

I think we need people who are keen to improve the city, not attack people just because they support a different Westminster Party.

The cross party sniping is much worse at City Hall than that at County Hall which I find both strange and discordant.
So you defend people's right to cheat and deceive their loyal supporters and, their loyal supporters wishes and beliefs. OK, as long as we know your stance on how a council should be run, based purely upon deception and misinformation.
[quote][p][bold]Richard Clewer[/bold] wrote: I would much rather see the City Council not being elected on a party political basis. The sniping that goes on at current City Council meetings between parties is a major dis-incentive to members of the public attending from what they have said to me. I think we need people who are keen to improve the city, not attack people just because they support a different Westminster Party. The cross party sniping is much worse at City Hall than that at County Hall which I find both strange and discordant.[/p][/quote]So you defend people's right to cheat and deceive their loyal supporters and, their loyal supporters wishes and beliefs. OK, as long as we know your stance on how a council should be run, based purely upon deception and misinformation. karlmarx

11:25am Fri 24 Jan 14

Richard Clewer says...

Karl, your constant invention of statements and facts to support your own, rather biased, view of the world is the only attempt to deceive or misinform going on here.

I have not commented at all about Jo's decision. I will do now, it must have been a very difficult decision to make. I know that the fact that her own party would not support her being put forward as deputy leader was difficult. I worked closely with Jo on the Market Place project (just wait for the usual comment about granite blocks from China, comments I must admit I think have strayed into racist territory recently) and found her to be a very effective advocate for the City Council when she was the leader. I would have found it very difficult to remain in a party which changed its view from supporting the project to attacking it in the way the Lib Dems did. Changing party is not something that anyone would do lightly but it happens relatively often and in every which direction. There are several Wiltshire Councillors who have been elected under more than one ticket.

It is down to the electorate of Fisherton and Lower Bemerton to pass judgement at the next election. Personally I would urge all voters to choose the best candidate when it comes to an election and not just vote for a party. Jo was certainly one of the best candidates at the last election in my view.

As for your list of things we have 'less' of.

There will still be a police station, the current one is almost empty due to the changing nature of policing. The new arrangements will be designed to deliver effective modern policing, would you rather retain a 1950's model?

The loss of the bus station is Down to Wilts and Dorset, it is a Conservative group on the City Council trying to retain it and a Labour one trying not to.

We still have a coach station but in the wrong place according to Coach operators. Wiltshire Council is working with the City Council and CCM to get a better location created.

The decision on Hillcote has not been made yet but will be decided by the non political Clinical Commissioning Group. We have ensured it will not close until 2015 at the earliest and that an alternative will be in place before any closure is allowed. Soon there will be only 3 people using Hillcote and that is not an effective use of public money.

Our roads are rated above average in country wide scales. We are investing an extra £50+ million to deal with the underinvestment from Lib/Lab administrations in the 90's (or are you going to argue they were not in power again?)

The only parking we have lost is in the Market Square where the public clearly said they supported it becoming a pedestrian space, we have more disabled parking now.

Our recycling rate has increased to aprox 50% from almost 30%. There are only a couple of areas where alternate weekly collection has had problems (part of my ward being one). Personally I think the increased recycling is an excellent thing.

Wiltshire Council has not increased Council Tax for 5 years and has maintained all front line services despite the disastrous state of public finances left by Labour. Sounds pretty good to me, perhaps that is just my own bias?
Karl, your constant invention of statements and facts to support your own, rather biased, view of the world is the only attempt to deceive or misinform going on here. I have not commented at all about Jo's decision. I will do now, it must have been a very difficult decision to make. I know that the fact that her own party would not support her being put forward as deputy leader was difficult. I worked closely with Jo on the Market Place project (just wait for the usual comment about granite blocks from China, comments I must admit I think have strayed into racist territory recently) and found her to be a very effective advocate for the City Council when she was the leader. I would have found it very difficult to remain in a party which changed its view from supporting the project to attacking it in the way the Lib Dems did. Changing party is not something that anyone would do lightly but it happens relatively often and in every which direction. There are several Wiltshire Councillors who have been elected under more than one ticket. It is down to the electorate of Fisherton and Lower Bemerton to pass judgement at the next election. Personally I would urge all voters to choose the best candidate when it comes to an election and not just vote for a party. Jo was certainly one of the best candidates at the last election in my view. As for your list of things we have 'less' of. There will still be a police station, the current one is almost empty due to the changing nature of policing. The new arrangements will be designed to deliver effective modern policing, would you rather retain a 1950's model? The loss of the bus station is Down to Wilts and Dorset, it is a Conservative group on the City Council trying to retain it and a Labour one trying not to. We still have a coach station but in the wrong place according to Coach operators. Wiltshire Council is working with the City Council and CCM to get a better location created. The decision on Hillcote has not been made yet but will be decided by the non political Clinical Commissioning Group. We have ensured it will not close until 2015 at the earliest and that an alternative will be in place before any closure is allowed. Soon there will be only 3 people using Hillcote and that is not an effective use of public money. Our roads are rated above average in country wide scales. We are investing an extra £50+ million to deal with the underinvestment from Lib/Lab administrations in the 90's (or are you going to argue they were not in power again?) The only parking we have lost is in the Market Square where the public clearly said they supported it becoming a pedestrian space, we have more disabled parking now. Our recycling rate has increased to aprox 50% from almost 30%. There are only a couple of areas where alternate weekly collection has had problems (part of my ward being one). Personally I think the increased recycling is an excellent thing. Wiltshire Council has not increased Council Tax for 5 years and has maintained all front line services despite the disastrous state of public finances left by Labour. Sounds pretty good to me, perhaps that is just my own bias? Richard Clewer

12:50am Sat 25 Jan 14

Grampie says...

Richard, my other comments were made before I read your postings on here.

Please stop spinning. It is your lot in charge and Karl is right when he lists the number of things that the city is losing.
So it was the Lib/lab coalition's fault back in the nineties fault that the roads are so bad, but don't worry they are not as bad as elsewhere, in the countryside for example where traffic is lighter.
The present lot has had about 15 years to do something and the little work going on at the roads at the moment is not value for money. Filling potholes like the contractors are doing is not the same as repairing the road. As I said elsewhere it is shoddy work and if I was paying for it at home, I would be onto a consumer programme to look at the standard of work that was being carried out. Rogue traders they are not, but the standard is poor. At least their shareholders are making a few quid, while our cars deteriorate. Not their fault, they are not getting enough to do the job properly, but hey ho, there is no drop in front line services. If roads are not a front line service, then I do not know what is.

Karl never mentioned the car park charges, but it is not the fault of fewer cars coming into the city, and not the fault of the council.

You should live in the city, go into a pub and say, “I think the council is doing a great job”. It is the easiest way to get people wound up. People do not like what Trowbridge is doing to this city and South Wiltshire as a whole

As for saying comments on the flagstones in the market square being racist, shows how little you know about racism, which is typical of members and supporters of your party. Not many, if any, Conservatives went on anti apartheid marches, nor do you see them campaigning on issues of race, unless they can use the word immigrants. It sickened me to hear the fawning from the right after Mandela died.
Neither did they campaign for equal pay for women, they opposed the minimum wage, now they think it is a good thing, they hate the NHS and are selling it off to their mates and the latest is they are restricting campaigning by introducing the gagging law.

As for that awful Ian Duncan Smith. How could anybody work for a party that had him in it?
Richard, my other comments were made before I read your postings on here. Please stop spinning. It is your lot in charge and Karl is right when he lists the number of things that the city is losing. So it was the Lib/lab coalition's fault back in the nineties fault that the roads are so bad, but don't worry they are not as bad as elsewhere, in the countryside for example where traffic is lighter. The present lot has had about 15 years to do something and the little work going on at the roads at the moment is not value for money. Filling potholes like the contractors are doing is not the same as repairing the road. As I said elsewhere it is shoddy work and if I was paying for it at home, I would be onto a consumer programme to look at the standard of work that was being carried out. Rogue traders they are not, but the standard is poor. At least their shareholders are making a few quid, while our cars deteriorate. Not their fault, they are not getting enough to do the job properly, but hey ho, there is no drop in front line services. If roads are not a front line service, then I do not know what is. Karl never mentioned the car park charges, but it is not the fault of fewer cars coming into the city, and not the fault of the council. You should live in the city, go into a pub and say, “I think the council is doing a great job”. It is the easiest way to get people wound up. People do not like what Trowbridge is doing to this city and South Wiltshire as a whole As for saying comments on the flagstones in the market square being racist, shows how little you know about racism, which is typical of members and supporters of your party. Not many, if any, Conservatives went on anti apartheid marches, nor do you see them campaigning on issues of race, unless they can use the word immigrants. It sickened me to hear the fawning from the right after Mandela died. Neither did they campaign for equal pay for women, they opposed the minimum wage, now they think it is a good thing, they hate the NHS and are selling it off to their mates and the latest is they are restricting campaigning by introducing the gagging law. As for that awful Ian Duncan Smith. How could anybody work for a party that had him in it? Grampie

12:43pm Sat 25 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

"Our roads are rated above average in country wide scales. We are investing an extra £50+ million to deal with the underinvestment from Lib/Lab administrations in the 90's (or are you going to argue they were not in power again?)"

We've been down this road before (no pun intended) the state of the roads in Salisbury are 'above average'?
I travel throughout Europe and SE Asia and can assure you that 'above average' is complete nonsense. Countries that endure annual earthquakes and typhoons have roads that are in a much superior state of repair than those in Salisbury.
You appear determined to blame everyone except the current Tory council for the disrepair so let's examine the the Tory/Libdem involvement in this lie that it is all Labours fault.

Party in control of Wiltshire council 2010 - 2015 Tory
Party in control of Wiltshire council 2000 - 2009 Tory
Party in control of Wiltshire council 1998 - 2000 Tory/Independent

You have to go back over 16 years before you see the Labour party having any joint control of Wiltshire council, they have never had any overall control, only the Tory party and their allies the Libdems have had overall control in the last 21 years!

Now, you blame Labour, do you not see the facts! It is the Tory Party and the Libdems over the past 16 to 21 years who have systematically allowed Wiltshire's road network to deteriorate into the disgrace we see today. Go read up on previous Wiltshire council elections.
Finally, if there was actually a vote in Wiltshire/Salisbury on the roads being 'above average' well, you don't need me to tell you the result do you?
"Our roads are rated above average in country wide scales. We are investing an extra £50+ million to deal with the underinvestment from Lib/Lab administrations in the 90's (or are you going to argue they were not in power again?)" We've been down this road before (no pun intended) the state of the roads in Salisbury are 'above average'? I travel throughout Europe and SE Asia and can assure you that 'above average' is complete nonsense. Countries that endure annual earthquakes and typhoons have roads that are in a much superior state of repair than those in Salisbury. You appear determined to blame everyone except the current Tory council for the disrepair so let's examine the the Tory/Libdem involvement in this lie that it is all Labours fault. Party in control of Wiltshire council 2010 - 2015 Tory Party in control of Wiltshire council 2000 - 2009 Tory Party in control of Wiltshire council 1998 - 2000 Tory/Independent You have to go back over 16 years before you see the Labour party having any joint control of Wiltshire council, they have never had any overall control, only the Tory party and their allies the Libdems have had overall control in the last 21 years! Now, you blame Labour, do you not see the facts! It is the Tory Party and the Libdems over the past 16 to 21 years who have systematically allowed Wiltshire's road network to deteriorate into the disgrace we see today. Go read up on previous Wiltshire council elections. Finally, if there was actually a vote in Wiltshire/Salisbury on the roads being 'above average' well, you don't need me to tell you the result do you? karlmarx

12:48pm Sat 25 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

I don't believe that calling Chinese paving slabs Chinese is actually racist, after all a Chinese or Indian take away meal is called, well, again you don't need me to answer that one do you?
Chinese paving slabs, £3 million, spot on!
Starving and homeless on the increase? Never mind, take a look at the Market square, you'll feel much better, mmm, indeed.
I don't believe that calling Chinese paving slabs Chinese is actually racist, after all a Chinese or Indian take away meal is called, well, again you don't need me to answer that one do you? Chinese paving slabs, £3 million, spot on! Starving and homeless on the increase? Never mind, take a look at the Market square, you'll feel much better, mmm, indeed. karlmarx

9:52pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Richard Clewer says...

Karl, you refer to the market place as having Chinese Paving Slabs (they are Granite Setts by the way) in a manner suggesting that this is a bad and inferior thing. One of the definitions of racism is 'prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race'. Your view that Chinese Granite is inferior seems racist to me.

The data on the state of our roads is based on comparative data from all over the UK. They are not good, that is why we are investing the extra £50+ million. They are however better than average in the UK, there was a Chanel 4 program about the worst roads in the UK recently, none of them were in Wiltshire despite your nonsensical claims about needing a 4 by 4 to get around.

Grampie, I am not spinning anything. I am trying to deal in facts, not distorted views based on misinformation and inaccuracies. I have discussed the situation regarding Wiltshire Council in pubs in the City (and in the villages). Everyone wants to see the roads improved but aside from that it is quite a mixed conversation.

Looking at Car Parking by the way, we are now seeing an increase in the number of cars using our car parks.
Karl, you refer to the market place as having Chinese Paving Slabs (they are Granite Setts by the way) in a manner suggesting that this is a bad and inferior thing. One of the definitions of racism is 'prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race'. Your view that Chinese Granite is inferior seems racist to me. The data on the state of our roads is based on comparative data from all over the UK. They are not good, that is why we are investing the extra £50+ million. They are however better than average in the UK, there was a Chanel 4 program about the worst roads in the UK recently, none of them were in Wiltshire despite your nonsensical claims about needing a 4 by 4 to get around. Grampie, I am not spinning anything. I am trying to deal in facts, not distorted views based on misinformation and inaccuracies. I have discussed the situation regarding Wiltshire Council in pubs in the City (and in the villages). Everyone wants to see the roads improved but aside from that it is quite a mixed conversation. Looking at Car Parking by the way, we are now seeing an increase in the number of cars using our car parks. Richard Clewer

9:56pm Sat 25 Jan 14

Richard Clewer says...

Back to the topic actually in the article. The Lib Dem approach to setting the City Precept was to call for no increase but not to explain what they would cut to achieve that. Another reason why someone may think twice before remaining in that particular political group. As politicians we have got to be honest with the electorate. To suggest the City Council budget could have a zero rise without some expenditure reductions in the face of reduced government grant was not honest.

At least the Conservative and Labour budget plans both had a plan for increasing tax (by the same overall amount) and cutting expenditure. The suggestion from Labour to cut St Georges Day and the Carnival are not ideas I would support myself but they were an honest attempt to address the issue.
Back to the topic actually in the article. The Lib Dem approach to setting the City Precept was to call for no increase but not to explain what they would cut to achieve that. Another reason why someone may think twice before remaining in that particular political group. As politicians we have got to be honest with the electorate. To suggest the City Council budget could have a zero rise without some expenditure reductions in the face of reduced government grant was not honest. At least the Conservative and Labour budget plans both had a plan for increasing tax (by the same overall amount) and cutting expenditure. The suggestion from Labour to cut St Georges Day and the Carnival are not ideas I would support myself but they were an honest attempt to address the issue. Richard Clewer

8:24am Sun 26 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

So you still propose that all the damage to the roads in Wiltshire occurred prior to 1998 and, since then there has been no damage at all. Do you really need to insult the intelligence of the local electorate with your distortion of FACTS. Now, with an election pending you are trying desperately to patch up the crater strewn strips of rubble which your party has allowed to deteriorate over the past two decades, shocking to say the least.
So you still propose that all the damage to the roads in Wiltshire occurred prior to 1998 and, since then there has been no damage at all. Do you really need to insult the intelligence of the local electorate with your distortion of FACTS. Now, with an election pending you are trying desperately to patch up the crater strewn strips of rubble which your party has allowed to deteriorate over the past two decades, shocking to say the least. karlmarx

12:40pm Sun 26 Jan 14

Richard Clewer says...

No Karl, there is constant damage done to our roads and a constant amount of repair required to keep up with it.

The problem is that for over 10 years political decisions were made to spend money on other things than roads creating a huge backlog which we need to repair. In Wiltshire that decision was not made by the party I represent. My party has consistently set fixing potholes as a priority. Did yours?
No Karl, there is constant damage done to our roads and a constant amount of repair required to keep up with it. The problem is that for over 10 years political decisions were made to spend money on other things than roads creating a huge backlog which we need to repair. In Wiltshire that decision was not made by the party I represent. My party has consistently set fixing potholes as a priority. Did yours? Richard Clewer

3:35pm Sun 26 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

Incorrect, again. Over the past 21 years when either the Tory or Libdems were in control of Wiltshire council spending on road maintenance has decreased in all but 3 of those years. The extra spending announced recently to spent on road maintenance is in fact making up for the 18 years of under investment of the Tory and Libdem controlled Wiltshire council, nice try.
I have repeatedly stated that I do not support a political party, only a movement which recognises and opposes the ROLE political party's play in the actual running of the country by the monetary system.
Incorrect, again. Over the past 21 years when either the Tory or Libdems were in control of Wiltshire council spending on road maintenance has decreased in all but 3 of those years. The extra spending announced recently to spent on road maintenance is in fact making up for the 18 years of under investment of the Tory and Libdem controlled Wiltshire council, nice try. I have repeatedly stated that I do not support a political party, only a movement which recognises and opposes the ROLE political party's play in the actual running of the country by the monetary system. karlmarx

3:44pm Sun 26 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

Also note that the actual topic of the article is the election of a mayor, not by the electorate though.
Neither is it about...
"To suggest the City Council budget could have a zero rise without some expenditure reductions in the face of reduced government grant was not honest."
Yes, expenditure reductions in the face of reduced (word missing here is Tory) government.
Of course when you award tax breaks to millionaires, allow big business to choose whether to pay corporation tax or not and, give taxpayers money to the banks free to keep them afloat in order to enable them to continue their cartel well, of course there has to be 'expenditure reductions'.
Also note that the actual topic of the article is the election of a mayor, not by the electorate though. Neither is it about... "To suggest the City Council budget could have a zero rise without some expenditure reductions in the face of reduced government grant was not honest." Yes, expenditure reductions in the face of reduced (word missing here is Tory) government. Of course when you award tax breaks to millionaires, allow big business to choose whether to pay corporation tax or not and, give taxpayers money to the banks free to keep them afloat in order to enable them to continue their cartel well, of course there has to be 'expenditure reductions'. karlmarx

4:02pm Sun 26 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

So, back to the actual topic of this thread, as you say.

Indeed, the political motives and current allegiance of the Mayor is irrelevant to the post. What is in complete contradiction to some claims by councillors is that political party allegiances should not be a factor at parish and city level of government. Ok then, I'm naive enough to buy that myth so, on looking up the Salisbury City council website and, under the heading of councillors, lo and behold, under the name of each councillor is.....the name of the political party they represent! I recall this was also the case on the actual ballot papers.
So people vote for a person who represents the political party they choose to vote for. Now, having gone through the voting process using this blueprint as laid out by the council and the election process itself, imagine the voters dismay when the person they voted for who represents the party they voted for suddenly abandons that party and, switches their allegiance to a party that those who voted for them do not support.
You would naturally assume that the parish result would then be declared null and void and, a new election would take place wouldn't you? But no, switching of allegiances within weeks of an election isn't seen as a deception.
Reward? Make them mayor. They must have done something very worthy of this appointment, I wonder what it was? Can you guess?
So, back to the actual topic of this thread, as you say. Indeed, the political motives and current allegiance of the Mayor is irrelevant to the post. What is in complete contradiction to some claims by councillors is that political party allegiances should not be a factor at parish and city level of government. Ok then, I'm naive enough to buy that myth so, on looking up the Salisbury City council website and, under the heading of councillors, lo and behold, under the name of each councillor is.....the name of the political party they represent! I recall this was also the case on the actual ballot papers. So people vote for a person who represents the political party they choose to vote for. Now, having gone through the voting process using this blueprint as laid out by the council and the election process itself, imagine the voters dismay when the person they voted for who represents the party they voted for suddenly abandons that party and, switches their allegiance to a party that those who voted for them do not support. You would naturally assume that the parish result would then be declared null and void and, a new election would take place wouldn't you? But no, switching of allegiances within weeks of an election isn't seen as a deception. Reward? Make them mayor. They must have done something very worthy of this appointment, I wonder what it was? Can you guess? karlmarx

6:42pm Sun 26 Jan 14

Schoolmum999 says...

Bravo Karl, I see you most recent round of Clewer baiting is going well!

I must say that the tone of Mr Clewer's posts are to me, beneath that of an elected representative of the city. Condescending at best and to saying that Kalr's posts are racist, is disgraceful. We all know Karl doesn't do himself many favours, as he tends to post so often as to dilute his argument. However, Mr Clewer's tendency to snip at local resident who disagree with his also makes him stand out.

With regard to the original subject, if Mr Clewer honestly believes not being allied to a political party is such a good idea, I suggest he stand as an independent at the next election and see how far he gets. I won't hold my breath.

As a local resident, my opinion is that Ms Broom is a bad choice due to the fact that she stood as party representative and changed sides almost immediately after the election. Not really the ethics I would expect from the figure head of our city council, but what would I know? I'm just a voter.
Bravo Karl, I see you most recent round of Clewer baiting is going well! I must say that the tone of Mr Clewer's posts are to me, beneath that of an elected representative of the city. Condescending at best and to saying that Kalr's posts are racist, is disgraceful. We all know Karl doesn't do himself many favours, as he tends to post so often as to dilute his argument. However, Mr Clewer's tendency to snip at local resident who disagree with his also makes him stand out. With regard to the original subject, if Mr Clewer honestly believes not being allied to a political party is such a good idea, I suggest he stand as an independent at the next election and see how far he gets. I won't hold my breath. As a local resident, my opinion is that Ms Broom is a bad choice due to the fact that she stood as party representative and changed sides almost immediately after the election. Not really the ethics I would expect from the figure head of our city council, but what would I know? I'm just a voter. Schoolmum999

7:45pm Sun 26 Jan 14

Richard Clewer says...

Karl, what data are you using for your statement? Highways funding has increased every year since the Conservatives took over Wiltshire County Council. That is based on budget data. Certainly in the last five years since Wiltshire Council was created we have significantly increased funding every year. Please stop making up data!

I think your party affiliations are pretty clear from your comments. You certainly have a twisted hatred of anything Conservative which I find strange.

Before the last City Council election I tried very hard to get the three main parties to agree not to stand on a party basis. The Conservative and Liberal Democrats (under Jo's leadership) were open to the idea. Sadly another party was not and it did not succeed. I accept that Wiltshire Council is of a size where Party Politics does at times assist. The City Council is not.

Schoolmum, from your comments I take it you are not a party member and have never stood for election?
Karl, what data are you using for your statement? Highways funding has increased every year since the Conservatives took over Wiltshire County Council. That is based on budget data. Certainly in the last five years since Wiltshire Council was created we have significantly increased funding every year. Please stop making up data! I think your party affiliations are pretty clear from your comments. You certainly have a twisted hatred of anything Conservative which I find strange. Before the last City Council election I tried very hard to get the three main parties to agree not to stand on a party basis. The Conservative and Liberal Democrats (under Jo's leadership) were open to the idea. Sadly another party was not and it did not succeed. I accept that Wiltshire Council is of a size where Party Politics does at times assist. The City Council is not. Schoolmum, from your comments I take it you are not a party member and have never stood for election? Richard Clewer

7:52pm Sun 26 Jan 14

Grampie says...

Richard said "Grampie, I am not spinning anything. I am trying to deal in facts, not distorted views based on misinformation and inaccuracies. I have discussed the situation regarding Wiltshire Council in pubs in the City (and in the villages). Everyone wants to see the roads improved but aside from that it is quite a mixed conversation."

I think Karl's post about who was in power in Wiltshire for the last 16 years proves that you were either misinformed or were spinning. Conservatives are led by a spinmaster (even members of his own party do not like him) and they have the assistance of the Aussie spinmaster Lynton Crosby. All parties do it, but the Tories are masters.

To say that there are mixed conversation when you talk to people,I wonder how many say what a wonderful job Wiltshire council is doing. Why don't your supporters come on here and defend you? Is it because they are embarrased or have you lost all support?

Fair play to you for coming on here but you have little if any support.
Richard said "Grampie, I am not spinning anything. I am trying to deal in facts, not distorted views based on misinformation and inaccuracies. I have discussed the situation regarding Wiltshire Council in pubs in the City (and in the villages). Everyone wants to see the roads improved but aside from that it is quite a mixed conversation." I think Karl's post about who was in power in Wiltshire for the last 16 years proves that you were either misinformed or were spinning. Conservatives are led by a spinmaster (even members of his own party do not like him) and they have the assistance of the Aussie spinmaster Lynton Crosby. All parties do it, but the Tories are masters. To say that there are mixed conversation when you talk to people,I wonder how many say what a wonderful job Wiltshire council is doing. Why don't your supporters come on here and defend you? Is it because they are embarrased or have you lost all support? Fair play to you for coming on here but you have little if any support. Grampie

11:52pm Sun 26 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

Richard Clewer wrote:
Karl, what data are you using for your statement? Highways funding has increased every year since the Conservatives took over Wiltshire County Council. That is based on budget data. Certainly in the last five years since Wiltshire Council was created we have significantly increased funding every year. Please stop making up data!

I think your party affiliations are pretty clear from your comments. You certainly have a twisted hatred of anything Conservative which I find strange.

Before the last City Council election I tried very hard to get the three main parties to agree not to stand on a party basis. The Conservative and Liberal Democrats (under Jo's leadership) were open to the idea. Sadly another party was not and it did not succeed. I accept that Wiltshire Council is of a size where Party Politics does at times assist. The City Council is not.

Schoolmum, from your comments I take it you are not a party member and have never stood for election?
I have published the figures last year, didn't you read them or has your 'non political bias' clouded your view?

here they are again then...

Wiltshire Council Summary Statement of Accounts 2009/10
Net Expenditure
Highways, Roads & Transport Services
£38,180,000

Wiltshire Council Summary Statement of Accounts 2010/2011
Net Expenditure
Highways, Roads & Transport Services
£ 38,375,000 = Plus £195,000

Wiltshire Council Summary Statement of Accounts 2011/2012
Net Expenditure
Highways, Roads & Transport Services
£ 30,078,000 = Minus £8,297,000

Wiltshire Council Summary Statement of Accounts 2012/2013
Net Expenditure
Highways, Roads & Transport Services
£ 28,858,000 = Minus £12,200,000
Overall spending on Highways, Roads & Transport Services since election = Minus £20,302,000

Clear enough?
[quote][p][bold]Richard Clewer[/bold] wrote: Karl, what data are you using for your statement? Highways funding has increased every year since the Conservatives took over Wiltshire County Council. That is based on budget data. Certainly in the last five years since Wiltshire Council was created we have significantly increased funding every year. Please stop making up data! I think your party affiliations are pretty clear from your comments. You certainly have a twisted hatred of anything Conservative which I find strange. Before the last City Council election I tried very hard to get the three main parties to agree not to stand on a party basis. The Conservative and Liberal Democrats (under Jo's leadership) were open to the idea. Sadly another party was not and it did not succeed. I accept that Wiltshire Council is of a size where Party Politics does at times assist. The City Council is not. Schoolmum, from your comments I take it you are not a party member and have never stood for election?[/p][/quote]I have published the figures last year, didn't you read them or has your 'non political bias' clouded your view? here they are again then... Wiltshire Council Summary Statement of Accounts 2009/10 Net Expenditure Highways, Roads & Transport Services £38,180,000 Wiltshire Council Summary Statement of Accounts 2010/2011 Net Expenditure Highways, Roads & Transport Services £ 38,375,000 = Plus £195,000 Wiltshire Council Summary Statement of Accounts 2011/2012 Net Expenditure Highways, Roads & Transport Services £ 30,078,000 = Minus £8,297,000 Wiltshire Council Summary Statement of Accounts 2012/2013 Net Expenditure Highways, Roads & Transport Services £ 28,858,000 = Minus £12,200,000 Overall spending on Highways, Roads & Transport Services since election = Minus £20,302,000 Clear enough? karlmarx

11:59pm Sun 26 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

"I think your party affiliations are pretty clear from your comments. You certainly have a twisted hatred of anything Conservative which I find strange."

It's simple really, who ever is allegedly running the country will be subject to critical analysis simply because they are not actually the ones who wield the power and influence. They are merely the window dressing for those who do so, be it labour, Tory/lapdog or Tory/fascist at the next election, they will be under scrutiny, sorry to shatter your mistaken assumption, again.
"I think your party affiliations are pretty clear from your comments. You certainly have a twisted hatred of anything Conservative which I find strange." It's simple really, who ever is allegedly running the country will be subject to critical analysis simply because they are not actually the ones who wield the power and influence. They are merely the window dressing for those who do so, be it labour, Tory/lapdog or Tory/fascist at the next election, they will be under scrutiny, sorry to shatter your mistaken assumption, again. karlmarx

3:59am Mon 27 Jan 14

karlmarx says...

Richard Clewer wrote:
Karl, you refer to the market place as having Chinese Paving Slabs (they are Granite Setts by the way) in a manner suggesting that this is a bad and inferior thing. One of the definitions of racism is 'prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race'. Your view that Chinese Granite is inferior seems racist to me.

The data on the state of our roads is based on comparative data from all over the UK. They are not good, that is why we are investing the extra £50+ million. They are however better than average in the UK, there was a Chanel 4 program about the worst roads in the UK recently, none of them were in Wiltshire despite your nonsensical claims about needing a 4 by 4 to get around.

Grampie, I am not spinning anything. I am trying to deal in facts, not distorted views based on misinformation and inaccuracies. I have discussed the situation regarding Wiltshire Council in pubs in the City (and in the villages). Everyone wants to see the roads improved but aside from that it is quite a mixed conversation.

Looking at Car Parking by the way, we are now seeing an increase in the number of cars using our car parks.
Where are you getting your information from as it appears to contradict the facts and reality of the situation as follows from Thursday 24th October 2013

"THE collapse in income from a Salisbury car park has led city chiefs to consider freeing it from the control of Wiltshire Council.

Salisbury City Council’s services committee heard income from the Southampton Road car park, which is part of Churchill Gardens, had dropped from between £21,000 and £24,000 per year to £2,000.

City clerk Reg Williams said the pay-and-display car park, which is operated by Wiltshire Council on Salisbury’s behalf in return for a fee, had run at a loss, which last year amounted to more than £5,000.
This year, Salisbury had asked for the ticket machines to be covered up, so the car park is free and costs less to administer.

A report to councillors by Mr Williams said the Southampton Road car park and the Lush House car park, which adjoins Queen Elizabeth Gardens, are part of a charging structure that Wiltshire Council, which has greater legal powers on traffic matters, had insisted was linked to its car parks.
This meant the city council could not set its own charges and when Wiltshire Council increased its charges dramatically in 2011, the Southampton Road car park income collapsed.

It had also suffered from the recession and the opening of the Petersfinger park and ride site, meaning students at Wiltshire College could park there without charge.
“It’s a bit of a double whammy,” said Mr Williams.

Mr Williams said Salisbury had asked for Southampton Road and Lush House to be freed from the covenant linking them to Wiltshire Council’s charges.

But he added that as Wiltshire would be reviewing its parking charges after Christmas it was sensible to see what came out of that review before any decisions are made on how the city council wants to proceed.

Cllr John Collier said one improvement badly needed was new ticket machines: “The current ones are appalling,” he said.

Mr Williams said Wiltshire would look at such matters, including machines allowing people to pay on exit.
It was agreed that the city council should await the outcome of the Wiltshire Council review."

Oh, and we have yet to discuss the average annual subsidy of park and ride of £1 million. Now, I wonder where that money comes from?
[quote][p][bold]Richard Clewer[/bold] wrote: Karl, you refer to the market place as having Chinese Paving Slabs (they are Granite Setts by the way) in a manner suggesting that this is a bad and inferior thing. One of the definitions of racism is 'prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race'. Your view that Chinese Granite is inferior seems racist to me. The data on the state of our roads is based on comparative data from all over the UK. They are not good, that is why we are investing the extra £50+ million. They are however better than average in the UK, there was a Chanel 4 program about the worst roads in the UK recently, none of them were in Wiltshire despite your nonsensical claims about needing a 4 by 4 to get around. Grampie, I am not spinning anything. I am trying to deal in facts, not distorted views based on misinformation and inaccuracies. I have discussed the situation regarding Wiltshire Council in pubs in the City (and in the villages). Everyone wants to see the roads improved but aside from that it is quite a mixed conversation. Looking at Car Parking by the way, we are now seeing an increase in the number of cars using our car parks.[/p][/quote]Where are you getting your information from as it appears to contradict the facts and reality of the situation as follows from Thursday 24th October 2013 "THE collapse in income from a Salisbury car park has led city chiefs to consider freeing it from the control of Wiltshire Council. Salisbury City Council’s services committee heard income from the Southampton Road car park, which is part of Churchill Gardens, had dropped from between £21,000 and £24,000 per year to £2,000. City clerk Reg Williams said the pay-and-display car park, which is operated by Wiltshire Council on Salisbury’s behalf in return for a fee, had run at a loss, which last year amounted to more than £5,000. This year, Salisbury had asked for the ticket machines to be covered up, so the car park is free and costs less to administer. A report to councillors by Mr Williams said the Southampton Road car park and the Lush House car park, which adjoins Queen Elizabeth Gardens, are part of a charging structure that Wiltshire Council, which has greater legal powers on traffic matters, had insisted was linked to its car parks. This meant the city council could not set its own charges and when Wiltshire Council increased its charges dramatically in 2011, the Southampton Road car park income collapsed. It had also suffered from the recession and the opening of the Petersfinger park and ride site, meaning students at Wiltshire College could park there without charge. “It’s a bit of a double whammy,” said Mr Williams. Mr Williams said Salisbury had asked for Southampton Road and Lush House to be freed from the covenant linking them to Wiltshire Council’s charges. But he added that as Wiltshire would be reviewing its parking charges after Christmas it was sensible to see what came out of that review before any decisions are made on how the city council wants to proceed. Cllr John Collier said one improvement badly needed was new ticket machines: “The current ones are appalling,” he said. Mr Williams said Wiltshire would look at such matters, including machines allowing people to pay on exit. It was agreed that the city council should await the outcome of the Wiltshire Council review." Oh, and we have yet to discuss the average annual subsidy of park and ride of £1 million. Now, I wonder where that money comes from? karlmarx

11:52am Mon 27 Jan 14

gingin says...

Schoolmum999 wrote:
Bravo Karl, I see you most recent round of Clewer baiting is going well!

I must say that the tone of Mr Clewer's posts are to me, beneath that of an elected representative of the city. Condescending at best and to saying that Kalr's posts are racist, is disgraceful. We all know Karl doesn't do himself many favours, as he tends to post so often as to dilute his argument. However, Mr Clewer's tendency to snip at local resident who disagree with his also makes him stand out.

With regard to the original subject, if Mr Clewer honestly believes not being allied to a political party is such a good idea, I suggest he stand as an independent at the next election and see how far he gets. I won't hold my breath.

As a local resident, my opinion is that Ms Broom is a bad choice due to the fact that she stood as party representative and changed sides almost immediately after the election. Not really the ethics I would expect from the figure head of our city council, but what would I know? I'm just a voter.
I totally agree, Richard does try and justify wrong doings and does indeed use "spin" which leaves out many facts against his argument.

Not all Parish councils are run on party lines. Where I live in Laverstock I know for sure that Laverstock and Ford PC operate and indeed it is a condition for joining as a non political council and it works so much better as everyone wants the best for the parish. It certainly stops the spitting of abuse across the table.

With all that in mind I do not agree with Jo Broom being the next Mayor as it seems wrong morally to be elected under one party then jump ship for personal reasons. A mayoral role is supposed to be non political but in Salisbury that rarely happens
[quote][p][bold]Schoolmum999[/bold] wrote: Bravo Karl, I see you most recent round of Clewer baiting is going well! I must say that the tone of Mr Clewer's posts are to me, beneath that of an elected representative of the city. Condescending at best and to saying that Kalr's posts are racist, is disgraceful. We all know Karl doesn't do himself many favours, as he tends to post so often as to dilute his argument. However, Mr Clewer's tendency to snip at local resident who disagree with his also makes him stand out. With regard to the original subject, if Mr Clewer honestly believes not being allied to a political party is such a good idea, I suggest he stand as an independent at the next election and see how far he gets. I won't hold my breath. As a local resident, my opinion is that Ms Broom is a bad choice due to the fact that she stood as party representative and changed sides almost immediately after the election. Not really the ethics I would expect from the figure head of our city council, but what would I know? I'm just a voter.[/p][/quote]I totally agree, Richard does try and justify wrong doings and does indeed use "spin" which leaves out many facts against his argument. Not all Parish councils are run on party lines. Where I live in Laverstock I know for sure that Laverstock and Ford PC operate and indeed it is a condition for joining as a non political council and it works so much better as everyone wants the best for the parish. It certainly stops the spitting of abuse across the table. With all that in mind I do not agree with Jo Broom being the next Mayor as it seems wrong morally to be elected under one party then jump ship for personal reasons. A mayoral role is supposed to be non political but in Salisbury that rarely happens gingin

5:22pm Mon 27 Jan 14

Schoolmum999 says...

Richard Clewer wrote:
Karl, what data are you using for your statement? Highways funding has increased every year since the Conservatives took over Wiltshire County Council. That is based on budget data. Certainly in the last five years since Wiltshire Council was created we have significantly increased funding every year. Please stop making up data!

I think your party affiliations are pretty clear from your comments. You certainly have a twisted hatred of anything Conservative which I find strange.

Before the last City Council election I tried very hard to get the three main parties to agree not to stand on a party basis. The Conservative and Liberal Democrats (under Jo's leadership) were open to the idea. Sadly another party was not and it did not succeed. I accept that Wiltshire Council is of a size where Party Politics does at times assist. The City Council is not.

Schoolmum, from your comments I take it you are not a party member and have never stood for election?
Mr Clewer

To respond to your question to me, no I have never been a party member, nor have I stood for election. I have voted conservative and Liberal Democrat in the past, which I will not be doing again. Why do you ask? Do I have to have had political experience to voice my opinion, or are you suggesting I have a particular political view?

I'm just a life long Salisbury resident who is not impressed by the contempt currently demonstrated by our city and council councillors. OK with you?

How come we haven't heard form the new mayor btw?
[quote][p][bold]Richard Clewer[/bold] wrote: Karl, what data are you using for your statement? Highways funding has increased every year since the Conservatives took over Wiltshire County Council. That is based on budget data. Certainly in the last five years since Wiltshire Council was created we have significantly increased funding every year. Please stop making up data! I think your party affiliations are pretty clear from your comments. You certainly have a twisted hatred of anything Conservative which I find strange. Before the last City Council election I tried very hard to get the three main parties to agree not to stand on a party basis. The Conservative and Liberal Democrats (under Jo's leadership) were open to the idea. Sadly another party was not and it did not succeed. I accept that Wiltshire Council is of a size where Party Politics does at times assist. The City Council is not. Schoolmum, from your comments I take it you are not a party member and have never stood for election?[/p][/quote]Mr Clewer To respond to your question to me, no I have never been a party member, nor have I stood for election. I have voted conservative and Liberal Democrat in the past, which I will not be doing again. Why do you ask? Do I have to have had political experience to voice my opinion, or are you suggesting I have a particular political view? I'm just a life long Salisbury resident who is not impressed by the contempt currently demonstrated by our city and council councillors. OK with you? How come we haven't heard form the new mayor btw? Schoolmum999

9:10pm Mon 27 Jan 14

IanMcL says...

There is a lot of dross in the comments. Not for an article about a new Mayor.

The future Mayor was elected by voters who were duped, when a week, later, their successful candidate threw their joy back in their face and jumped ship, not to Independent, but to a very defeated opposition party.

Outcome? Immediate deputy leader position with deputy mayor too, knowing Mayor follows.

The public morality forced her out of the first job. She is obviously very thick skinned to be able to accept the hugely honourable task of Mayor of Salisbury. Not my personal idea of honour on this case. Pity.
There is a lot of dross in the comments. Not for an article about a new Mayor. The future Mayor was elected by voters who were duped, when a week, later, their successful candidate threw their joy back in their face and jumped ship, not to Independent, but to a very defeated opposition party. Outcome? Immediate deputy leader position with deputy mayor too, knowing Mayor follows. The public morality forced her out of the first job. She is obviously very thick skinned to be able to accept the hugely honourable task of Mayor of Salisbury. Not my personal idea of honour on this case. Pity. IanMcL

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree