doc

A SECOND soldier from Tidworth has died following an incident at a military firing range in Pembrokeshire.

Both victims were from the Royal Tank Regiment and were injured at Castlemartin on Wednesday afternoon, Defence Minister Tobias Ellwood said.

Two people are still being treated for their injuries.

Mr Ellwood said: "It is with great sorrow I can confirm the death of a second soldier from the Royal Tank Regiment following yesterday's incident at Castlemartin Ranges.

"Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time."

The range is used for tanks and armoured units to carry out direct-fire live gunnery exercises.

Paramedics were called to the scene shortly after 3.30pm on Wednesday, taking two men to Morriston Hospital, Swansea, one to Heath Hospital in Cardiff and air-lifting a fourth to a Birmingham hospital.

The two other soldiers hurt were said to be in a critical condition.

A 48-hour worldwide ban was subsequently imposed on the ammunition which had been fired during the fatal training exercising.

A statement from the Royal Tank Regiment said its investigations were continuing.

It said: "Our thoughts are with the friends and families of all those involved."

The regiment was formed at around the time of the First World War and had 25 battalions fighting across the globe during the Second World War.

The regiment, based in Tidworth, Wiltshire, consists of three squadrons - Ajax, Badger and Cyclops - each equipped with 18 Challenger 2 battle tanks, the unit's Ministry of Defence website says.