A SPECIAL plaque has been unveiled in dedication to the founder of Trinity Hospital for the poor in Salisbury.

The blue plaque dedicated to Agnes Bottenham outside the Rai D’Or pub and restaurant on Brown Street was unveiled by archaeologist Dr Phil Harding on Thursday, September 7.

It reads “Here dwelt Agnes Bottenham Landlady of the Rydedorre who founded Trinity Hospital for the poor c 1370”.

Trinity Hospital was established to give shelter to 12 needy people and for 18 temporary residents who could stay for three days or, if sick, until recovered. At that time it was often the only refuge for the sick in the city.

From then on, Trinity Hospital’s charitable work has remained unbroken.

Today the office of Salisbury City Almshouse and Welfare Charities is based in Trinity Hospital.

The plaque is in recognition of Agnes Bottenham’s legacy and her contribution to Salisbury.

This event at the Rai d’Or was part of the Historic Pubs and Inns themed events for Heritage Open Days co-organised by the Salisbury Civic Society and the Salisbury and South Wilts branch of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA).

Other co-organised events in the programme included tours of the Haunch of Venison in Salisbury, the former Three Crowns Inn in Harnham, a Salisbury historic pubs walk, an exhibition of Salisbury pubs and inns in the public library, displays for the 30th anniversary of Hop Back brewery at the Wyndham Arms, and a lecture on Romano-British Beer at Salisbury Rugby Club.

The unveiling at the Rai d’Or was attended by members of Salisbury Civic Society, representatives of Salisbury City Almshouse and Welfare Charities, Salisbury branch of CAMRA, Simon Wheeler, of the Rai d’Or, and members of the general public.