Agony for Shrews after late leveller

Salisbury Journal: Agony for Shrews after late leveller Agony for Shrews after late leveller

SHREWTON United's hopes of winning the league were dealt a blow after Corsham grabbed a controversial last ditch equaliser.

With United winning 2-1 and time ticking away, Shrewton full back George Plank was chasing a ball which he smashed out of the stadium for a Corsham throw.

As the referee trotted over to chat to Plank, the hosts scandalously took a quick fire throw and consequently scored to rob the leaders of victory.

The game itself started with Shrewton on top with Jesse Walters and Archie Wilkinson firing wide from good positions but the home defence remained strong as the teams went in at half time goalless.

The second period saw the visiting side take control as Joey Weeks was denied from six yards before James Dolman hit the post. In the 55th minute Shrewton were rewarded for their pressure as a corner was powered in with a fierce header from Dolman.

At this stage it looked like there would be only one winner but to Corsham's credit they remained in the game and with their first shot on goal they scored as a cross was met with a powerful volley.

Shrewton immediately attacked and minutes later were back in front as a Dolman cross was tapped in from Wilkinson to make it 2-1.

The closing stages saw Corsham put heavy pressure on the Shrewton goal as they hit the inside of post before seeing another effort balance off the woodwork. With minutes remaining Walters had the chance to seal the points as he raced through on goal only to see his shot go inches wide.

Shrewton remain top on goal difference after Blyskawica withdrew from the league. They take on Wroughton at home on Saturday (3pm).


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree