The Skrill Premier

Salisbury City 1

Kidderminster Harriers 1

A LAST-GASP penalty from Charlie Sheringham poached a priceless point for Salisbury City in front of a roaring Challenge 2000 crowd who witnessed an ugly finale as two red cards were dished out after a brawl unfolded.

Heartbroken Kidderminster were denied a first away win in five months after skipper Kyle Storer handled inside the area and was dismissed moments later following a spat with City defender Angus MacDonald, who departed with a ripped shirt.

Despite the melee, Sheringham absorbed the pressure to send the bumper crowd into raptures after slotting home in the 93rd minute - his maiden goal since joining on loan from League Two outfit AFC Wimbledon. The equalising strike was also a proud moment for father Teddy, who was on-looking in the terraces.

City, now winless in seven games, made an encouraging start to the compelling encounter with the levelling hero Sheringham went close from Elliott Frear’s delivery but ballooned over.

Ryan Brett, making his 150th appearance, and MacDonald lashed efforts towards Danny Lewis’s goalmouth.

Meanwhile the visitors, chucking their weight around, nearly got the better of James Bittner in the Whites goal when Amari Morgan-Smith steered wide after colliding with the keeper.

But Bittner, who kept a clean sheet when Harriers last visited the Ray Mac five years ago, was given no chance from Gittings’s 35th minute effort, which rippled into the net with aplomb.

City stepped it up in the second half and a flurry of efforts lacked sting to beat Lewis. Harriers were soaking up mounted pressure from the hosts, and were forced to dig deeper within 10 minutes of Danny Jackman emerging from the bench. He limped off and left his team down to ten men as all three substitutes had been used.

To the visiting side’s dismay they couldn’t hang on as a lofted ball into the penalty box was handled in injury time, resulting in a sending off for each side, which was coolly dispatched by the loanee. That moment marked a memorable day for Whites manager Mikey Harris, who spent the past two months visiting schools and handing out complimentary tickets to boost woeful attendances.

“It’s been a really positive day all round,” he said. “I’m delighted to hit the target of 2,000 fans, and some more, and I’m sure those who came would have been entertained as there was plenty of match action.”

“It was great to see so many smiling faces and hopefully it will work as a catalyst for the remaining home games and next season. We’re a community club and are trying to make people aware that we have a very strong football team competing in a strong division.

“We responded well in the second half and piled the pressure on Harriers.

“My initial reaction was, yes, it was a penalty as their player saved the ball with his hand. The two sending offs were exciting for the crowd, but I’m not really sure what happened as I haven’t had a chance to talk to the referee. However, I won’t let that incident overlook the positivity of the game.”

Salisbury City: (4-4-2): Bittner, Amankwaah, Wilson (c), MacDonald, Clarke, Kamdjo, Lewis, Brett (White, 68), Frear (McPhee, 83), Sheringham, Fitchett.

Subs not used: George, Flint.

Scorer: Sheringham (pen 90+3).

Att: 2,217.

Referee: Adam Hopkins (Plymouth).

Star man: Charlie Sheringham (Salisbury).

Half time: 0-1.

MATCH FACTS: Shots on: 4/2 Shots off: 2/2 Corners: 9/5 Offsides: 1/2 Fouls: 6/12 Yellow cards: 3/3 Sent off: MacDonald (90+3) Storer (90+3)