Salisbury crash out of the FA Cup

Salisbury Journal: Salisbury crash out of the FA Cup Salisbury crash out of the FA Cup

FA Cup Second Round

Port Vale 4

Salisbury City 1

BRAVE Salisbury City failed to reach the third round of the FA Cup despite dominating for large spells in Staffordshire as the outcome flattered League One giants Port Vale.

Chris Robertson’s strike inside 27 minutes gave Vale the upper hand going into the interval, but a bright start to the second half saw unfazed Salisbury play some fluid football.

And the pressing visitors deservedly got on level terms through Dangerous Dan Fitchett – his 13th of the season – just after the hour mark.

The striker stabbed home Elliott Frear’s un-cleared low cross on the left to send the travelling 240 fans into raptures behind the goal.

They remained firmly on the front foot but were unable to create any meaningful chances which harmed Sam Johnson in the vale goal, yet the tie’s red-hot favourites were starting to crumble.

But, despite Salisbury taking control, Vale showcased their League One superiority by scoring three goals in the remaining 11 minutes to dump the Whites out of the famous competition and secure the £27,000 available from the FA’s prize fund, along with a potential lucrative third round tie.

Tom Pope’s classy header in the 79th minute gave Vale the edge then, two minutes later, a corker from substitute Rob Taylor, struggling to wriggle his way into the first team this season, rippled into the top corner.

Ben Williamson finished things off deep in stoppage time with a sweet effort on the left.

But despite defeat, to a team 48 positions above them in the football pyramid, boss Mikey Harris was confident his Salisbury side would get a positive result.

“We had a fantastic spell where we were on the front foot and dominated the game,” he told the Journal.”

“If we scored while we were on top it would have been a different outcome. But credit to them they hit us on the counter attack.

“It’s a shame but there’s not a lot you can do when they score three goals so quickly.

“It was not a 4-1 game and I’m sure Micky Adams would agree.”

Salisbury (4-1-4-1): Puddy, Clarke, MacDonald, Wilson (c), Hart (Brett, 81), Kamdjo, Fitchett, S.Sinclair (Dutton, 88), Lewis, Frear, White (McPhee h-t).

Subs not used: Bittner, Wright, Wellard, Feeney.

Scorer: Fitchett (64).

Att: 4,658 (Vis: 240).

Referee: Andrew Madley.

Star man: J Clarke.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree