Edgar Davids retires as Salisbury defeat Barnet

Salisbury Journal: Edgar Davids retires as Salisbury defeat Barnet Edgar Davids retires as Salisbury defeat Barnet

Skrill Premier

Salisbury City 2

Barnet 1

NETHERLANDS legend Edgar Davids has announced his retirement from playing after being sent-off for the third time in Skrill Premier - following nine-man Barnet’s 2-1 defeat to fellow play-off hopefuls Salisbury City.

Barnet’s player-manager, 40, was dismissed from play in the 80th minute for an altercation with Angus MacDonald, just five minutes after super substitution Jamie White fired home the fruitful winner from the spot.

The penalty incident resulted in Barnet’s first sending off as Carl Fletcher bundled Theo Lewis to the ground, in which gifted Salisbury victory.

Furious Davids, playing at centre-half, declared his 22-year playing career is over as he insists referees are repeatedly “targeting” him.

“The red cards were ridiculous,” he lambasted, making nine appearances for The Bees.

“It was an absolute disgrace to receive the first yellow card, everyone could see I cleared the ball. And the other booking is disgraceful.”

“I’m the target, but that’s ok as I don’t think I’m going to play anymore because it’s taking away the fun and I want the team to do well.

“The evidence is there that I’m being singled out. It’s definitely a big statement to make but I’m serious.”

The Whites, recording back-to-back wins and moving within two points of the play-offs, took a well-deserved lead inside 16 minutes.

Ricky Wellard’s long ball into the area gave Chris McPhee a free header and he made full use of his opportunity by planting beyond keeper Graham Stack.

But the lead lasted a short three minutes as they were caught on the counter. Clovis Kamdjo and Ryan Brett ran into each other, which allowed England C winger Keanu Marsh-Brown to gallivant down the right and whip in a cross for Jake Hyde to prod home, taking a deflection en-route.

Marsh-Brown and Hyde, along with Kamdjo, against his former club, had chances to snatch the game.

But, ultimately, two separate incidents resulted in Salisbury claiming the three points in an ill-tempered affair.

Lewis was brought down by Barnet’s last man standing Fletcher, consequently seeing red, and was awarded a penalty in the 75th minute.

Within three minutes of coming on, White’s first touch was the penalty which he comfortably steered into the top corner.

Barnet had their fair share of possession and chances with Marsh-Brown hitting the side netting and Hyde being thwarted from six-yards by Will Puddy.

But Davids’ sending off ten minutes from time pulled the plug on them taking home a precious point to London, as they suffered a bumpy ten minutes as Tyler Harvey and McPhee should have added a third with their halfway line efforts as Stack was backpedalling.

“Edgar’s had a fantastic career but the result is all about my boys,” said Salisbury boss Mikey Harris, whose side avenged September’s 3-1 defeat at the Hive.

“They’ve put in an unbelievable shift, 48 hours after winning at Woking - and to be honest I’m more concerned with the effort they’ve put in and the three points.

“It was an entertaining game for the punters and I’m really pleased with the effort my boys put in against a very difficult side.”

Salisbury face Woking at home on New Year’s Day.

• Ben Wright has gone on-loan to Conference South side Basingstoke Town to get game-time.

Salisbury (4-5-1): Puddy, Clarke, MacDonald, Wilson (c), Hart (White, 72), Brett, Wellard (Harvey, 58), Kamdjo (Feeney, 91), Lewis, S.Sinclair, McPhee.

Subs not used: Bittner, Battipiedi.

Scorers: McPhee (16), White (75 pen).

Att: 1,343.

Referee: Lee Swabey (Plymouth) 6/10.

Star man: Theo Lewis.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree