Richard E Grant's garden on fire

Richard E Grant had to call the fire brigade

Richard E Grant had to call the fire brigade

First published in National Entertainment News © by

Firefighters were called to the home of actor Richard E Grant after sparks from builders working nearby set fire to his conifers.

The Withnail and I star wrote on Twitter: "Flat roofer's blow torch set conifers on fire and 999 heroic fire brigade arrived pronto presto and have just put it out. Nerves shredded. Pheeeew.

"Merciful thanks for a windless day and fire brigade's emergency response otherwise firemen reckoned my garage & house would have been toast."

Grant then took to the microblogging site to have a moan about the inconvenience the incident had caused to him.

"This being the 21st century there is no apology or taking responsibility. It's always someone else's or something's fault. Drives me balmy," he wrote.

"No prizes for guessing who I would like to blowtorch right now!! And still got to pay the f******!!

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said five firefighters attended the incident in Richmond, south west London, just before 10.30am and quickly extinguished the blaze.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree