If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
McElderry 'stalker' found guilty
A man accused of stalking Joe McElderry and his mother has been convicted of harassment.
Ennis McBride, 53, from Stockport, was found guilty at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court after pop star and former X Factor winner Joe and members of his family gave evidence during the trial.
District Judge Roger Elsey said of McBride: "He has given evidence but has not been a compelling witness and lacked credibility. He totally lacked insight into the impact of his actions on the complainants."
The judge fined him £1,000 and ordered him to pay £915 costs. McBride was subject to a five-year restraining order preventing him from contacting the singer or his mother.
Joe had earlier told the court that he was left feeling scared and intimidated by McBride's actions.
It was said that on September 11, 2011 McBride knocked on the singer's's front door while he was having a bath. A friend answered the door and said he was not available.
McBride then went round to the singer's old house and spoke to his mother, Eileen Joyce, and accused Joe of being a liar. Describing the incident, Joe said: "I was feeling quite shaken and confused, and a bit creeped out. My mum sounded very alarmed and distressed and told me to lock the doors."
Then on December 24, 2011 the court heard that Ms Joyce saw McBride in Asda and later that day he was arrested at their home. Joe said: "I understand that I'm on the public platform and I appreciate the support I get but I don't think I should be made to feel unsafe in my own home."
McBride denied he intended to cause Joe and his mother alarm.
In a statement after the case, Joe said: "I am happy this is all over and I just want to draw a line under it."