If you have a story call our newsdesk on 01722 426511 or email us. To advertise call 01722 426500.
Adebayor heading to African Nations Cup
Emmanuel Adebayor has been included in Togo's African Nations Cup squad despite the striker hinting Andre Villas-Boas was not totally happy about him playing in the competition.
Spurs have confirmed that after weeks of indecision, Adebayor had finally agreed to answer his country's pleas and will play in the tournament, which runs from January 19 to February 10.
Spurs boss Villas-Boas has always insisted when asked about the situation that he would be happy to let Adebayor go to the tournament despite the fact that it would leave him with only one recognised striker in Jermain Defoe.
Yet Adebayor hinted in an interview with africatopsports.com - published on the Togo Football Federation's website - that despite Villas-Boas' public declaration of support, the Portuguese may not be happy with the 28-year-old's participation in the tournament.
"That is what he said to the press, but not what he said to me," Adebayor said. "There is a difference between what you say to the press and what you say in private."
Adebayor retired from international football following the deadly gun attack on the Togo team bus at the competition in Angola in 2010. He reversed his decision the following year, but he then retired again in 2012.
Initially he said he would not compete for Togo due to a row over unpaid bonuses, but then claimed his refusal was down to fears the Togo team could be subjected to another horrific attack similar to the one in Angola. Three people were killed during the ambush when terrorists sprayed the team's coach with machine gun fire, while Adebayor hid under a seat and survived the attack.
After meeting with Togo president Faure Gnassingbe, Adebayor was convinced that security around the team had been improved, and that he would be safe during the tournament, which will this year be held in South Africa.
Speaking in an interview with africatopsports.com that was published on the Togo Football Federation's website, Adebayor added: "I have met the head of state on two occasions. He must, at all costs, find solutions. We discussed it and he guaranteed that he will take charge of everything.
"In 2010 I wanted to go to the African Nations Cup to win and you saw all that happened, how that turned out. I hope this time will be better for me, for my team-mates, for all of Togo."