Bradford have issued a hands-off warning to Hull over their attempts to re-sign former England prop Garreth Carvell.
The 32-year-old Carvell joined the Bulls in the close season from Warrington on a two-year contract but looked set for a dramatic exit when his old club Hull on Thursday morning confirmed their interest in the player.
Hull, whose need for a new front-rower increased after injuries last weekend to Liam Watts and Chris Green, announced on their website that they were "monitoring the situation".
"The club have been made aware of Carvell's availability and could look to formalise a deal for the Challenge Cup winner in the near future once his situation has been clarified," they said.
That move has angered Bradford, who announced at the weekend they were ring-fencing their squad and on Thursday insisted that "no one is for sale".
A statement said: "We are shocked and disappointed by some of the comments made today regarding one of our players.
"To say we are baffled by talk that another club is 'monitoring' an 'on-going contract situation' would be an understatement.
"We can confirm that no form of deal has been sanctioned by the board of directors.
"Recent reports have and are continuing to cause major confusion and distress among our supporters, while undermining our efforts to re-build this club - with extremely limited resources.
"Agents and clubs need also to be mindful of the confusion and distress in which these kinds of approaches can cause for players and their families.
"We are operating with only half of the central funding provided for our Super League rivals and we have been through a very difficult time.
"Our message is very, very clear: Leave our team alone. No one is for sale.
"The announcement to ring-fence of our first-team squad last week was designed to create some stability for the players, while offering Francis (Cummins) the support he requires as head coach.
"It was about consolidation, as we want to keep what we have very much intact ahead of the new season to give both fans and all other stakeholders clarity."
Bradford say the club's directors and HR representatives are to meet with their players later on Thursday to once again outline their contractual position.
The club say all the players have been transferred to a new company, Bradford Bulls 2014 Ltd, after the original company went into administration, but the club are facing a possible points deduction and face a crucial meeting with the Rugby Football League on Friday.
It is understood the RFL is also looking into Carvell's situation.
The statement added: "We are not foolish enough to believe that talks do not go on between players and clubs during a season, but they must happen in an appropriate manner and at an appropriate time.
"And we would ask all clubs to act in a right and proper manner, in keeping with the family spirit of rugby league."
Carvell made 164 appearances for Hull from 2001-08, including two Challenge Cup final appearances, before joining the Wolves, for whom he played in last October's Grand Final.
The loss of Carvell would be a major blow to Cummins and his small squad with relegation returning to Super League this year.
Carvell, who toured New Zealand and Australia with England in 2010, has made just one appearance for the club, ironically against Hull in the Bulls' opening friendly on January 19, and was not selected against Castleford last weekend.
It is thought Carvell has already agreed to rejoin Hull on a one-year deal, with the option of a second season, depending upon appearances.