Michael Schumacher is no longer in a coma and has left the hospital in Grenoble where he had been receiving treatment after being involved in a skiing accident last year.
The seven-times Formula One world champion had sustained severe head injuries in the incident in the French Alps in December, and was subsequently put into an artificially-induced coma a few days later.
But his management company said in a statement on Monday: "Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma anymore."
It was later confirmed that Schumacher had been transferred to the University Hospital of Lausanne (CHUV) in Switzerland.
Darcy Christen, a spokesman for the hospital, said: "I can confirm that he has been admitted on Monday morning."
He said the hospital would not be disclosing any details about the star's condition or which part of the hospital he is being treated in.
"I can't say anything about his medical status. We have decided to ensure for him and his family privacy and medical confidentiality."
Schumacher was injured after falling while skiing off piste in the French Alpine resort of Meribel.
The German initially required surgery to remove a haematoma from his brain, but despite its success the 45-year-old was forced to remain in a coma under sedation.
Official reports after the initial frenzy surrounding Schumacher's status have been few and far between, prompting a number of scare stories regarding his future.
The last update on Schumacher's condition had been in early April, when a statement was released saying Schumacher was showing "moments of consciousness".
The time in between without any further announcement, however, had again raised questions as to whether Schumacher would ever make a complete recovery.
Those doubts remain, with no other information provided with regards to his health.
Schumacher's family, however, have again offered their sincere gratitude to all those who have played a part in the process over the past five-and-a-half months.
The statement from his management team continued: "His family would like to explicitly thank all his treating doctors, nurses and therapists in Grenoble, as well as the first aiders at the place of the accident, who did an excellent job in those first months.
"The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes. We are sure it helped him.
"For the future we ask for understanding his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye."
Monday's announcement was welcomed by Mercedes, with whom Schumacher raced for three years from 2010 when he made a largely unsuccessful return to racing.
"Encouraging news on Michael's condition this morning. We couldn't ask for a better start to the week. #KeepFightingMichael," the Brackley-based marque said on Twitter.
Lewis Hamilton was delighted with the update on Schumacher as he said: "It's incredible news. Amazing.
"Everywhere I go people ask about him - the States, Canada. I could be at a petrol station in the States and people would ask about him.
"I've always kept him in my thoughts and prayers, and it's really positive to hear there is some progress.
"I've been trying to keep an ear out for what is going on, but not really hearing much.
"So to hear he is now really in that wake-up phase is really, really encouraging.
"It's also exciting, that first step on that new ladder for him."
Germany footballer Lukas Podolski dedicated his side's 4-0 World Cup win over Portugal to Schumacher.
"In the end [the victory] was for him," the Arsenal man told the Guardian.
"He's a good friend, a good guy and he's also crazy about football. Maybe he watched the game or he knew about the result."