England's second NatWest International Twenty20 against South Africa was abandoned after the weather allowed only one short, frantic session at Old Trafford.

England were 29 for two after 4.1 overs of their reply to South Africa's 77 for five in a match reduced to nine overs per side when steady rain began to fall.

A result would have been recorded had another five balls been bowled - and England would have won had they added another 13 - but South Africa will still lead the series 1-0 heading to the third match at Edgbaston.

The match had been delayed by two and a quarter hours by earlier rain but there was still a certain familiarity to South Africa's batting as Hashim Amla again dominated. The prolific batsman proved his mastery of English bowling covers all formats by cracking seven fours in an unbeaten 47 from 30 balls.

Amla opened the batting after a rethink during the delay to play. Jacques Kallis had initially accompanied Richard Levi to the crease for the scheduled start but it began to rain as Steven Finn prepared to bowl the first ball. Kallis was kept waiting as the game began at a frenetic pace with Finn having Levi caught behind by Craig Kieswetter down the legside off the first ball.

Amla took control by flashing hard and after the three-over powerplay South Africa had 32 runs on the board, but by then captain AB de Villiers had also gone, miscuing a pull to Jade Dernbach at mid-on off Finn.

As has been a recurring quirk this season, Finn dislodged a bail in his delivery stride but unlike previous occasions - and another moments later - dead ball was not called.

England started to slow the rate with the introduction of Graeme Swann in the fourth over. Albie Morkel was the next man out when he failed to clear Jonny Bairstow at cover off the bowling of the recalled Luke Wright.

Amla had a reprieve when he was badly dropped by Eoin Morgan off Swann but the bowler himself showed how it should be done by running back to catch JP Duminy one-handed next ball.

Kieswetter claimed his second catch to remove Justin Ontong off Dernbach before Kallis finally came to the crease at number seven. Kallis had a fortunate escape when one shot landed just short of Dernbach but was unbeaten on 13 at the end of the innings as rain started to fall again.