A MAN died in his room after taking a toxic mixture of prescription drugs and a large quantity of alcohol.

Daniel Henley was found dead in his supported living accommodation at John Baker House, Rollestone Street, Salisbury, on September 2, 2015.

The day before his death, the 38-year-old had seen his friend Gary MacKenzie, who used to visit him daily.

Mr MacKenzie recalled a lot of alcohol was drunk, but did not remember seeing any drugs.

The inquest heard Mr Henley, who had been a user of heroin and crack cocaine, had fallen asleep on the sofa.

Mr MacKenzie said he had tried to wake his friend the next morning – poking him with a stick and slapping him round the face – but thought he was “out of it”.

He left Mr Henley to go into the town and went home before returning to John Baker House at about 2pm where he found his friend still in the same position on his bed. He said he tried waking him and thought he had found a pulse, and went to get help.

The inquest heard Mr Henley had been planning to leave Salisbury to be closer to his family. He had suffered with schizophrenia and anxiety, and was taking a number of prescribed medications.

His care co-ordinator Natasha Butler said he was was trying to manage his consumption of alcohol and recreational drugs.

In August, Mr Henley was admitted to hospital for alcohol-related liver problems and underwent a detox.

Pathologist Dr Matt Flynn gave the medical cause of death as methadone, alcohol and diazapam toxicity.

He said the presence of the drugs together could depress the central nervous system.

Coroner Dr Ian Singleton told the inquest at Salisbury Coroner’s Court last Wednesday: “There is no evidence it was his intention to take his own life. I find the effects of the detoxification was such his tolerance to his normal prescription drugs combined with the toxic affects of methadone on the central nervous system caused respiratory arrest and death.”

He said Mr Henley had voluntarily consumed such a quantity of alcohol, which combined with his prescription medication following a period of detoxification, led to his death.

Dr Singleton's conclusion was alcohol/drug related death.