SALISBURY FC sealed promotion to the Southern League Premier Division with a hard-fought and tense 2-1 victory at home to Didcot Town.

Needing to win and for other results to go their way, Salisbury’s team showed two changes from the midweek draw with Swindon Supermarine; Rhys Baggridge and Stuart Green returning in place of Jake Wannell and Owen Howe.

Didcot were the first side to threaten after six minutes but Elliot Wheeler was on hand to block the danger when Felipe Barcelos played the ball across the box.

Salisbury’s first real opportunity came after quarter of an hour, but Luke Hopper’s header was comfortable for Leigh Bedwell in the Didcot goal.

Three minutes later though, the Whites did take the lead and it was top scorer Stuart Green who broke the deadlock.

Eddie Perrett’s dangerous long throw was flicked on by Kane O’Keefe and Green was on hand to convert for his 22nd league goal of the season.

Salisbury’s lead was short lived however as 10 minutes later Barcelos was quick to latch onto a poor back pass from Baggridge and finished low across Charlie Searle into the bottom corner to restore parity to the scoreline.

Despite this setback Salisbury continued to look lively and could have gone back in front from the kick off but Hopper’s shot was straight at Bedwell.

Further shots from outside the area by Perrett and then Tom Whelan were unable to seriously threaten, and the teams went in for half time level.

The second half was slow to get underway in terms of chances at goal but when the chance did come it provoked a flurry of chances in the five minutes that followed.

Firstly after 65 minutes Green was just unable to get a touch on Lewis Benson’s cross, before two minutes later Hopper again found Bedwell in the way following George Colson’s cross.

Green was again the next to threaten and he was desperately unlucky to see his half volley bounce off the post after Chris Shephard had played a clever ball into the box.

With 15 minutes remaining Salisbury got the goal they were looking for and it arrived from the penalty spot. Benson was bought down inside the box and Colson stepped up to calmly dispatch his spot kick into the back of the net and put The Whites back in the lead.

As results going in their favour started to filter in to the crowd from elsewhere, the home side were indebted to Searle for ensuring they did their bit.

Didcot substitutes George Reid and Callum Mcnish both had shots that required Searle to be at his best and he was more than up to the task with a pair of fine saves to ensure the win.

As the final whistle was blown, and upon hearing from elsewhere that Wimborne Town and Bristol Manor Farm had failed to get the wins they needed, players and fans celebrated sealing promotion to the Southern League Premier division.

Despite promotion already being ensured, Salisbury still have two games left to play in the league. Bideford Town are the visitors to the Ray Mac tomorrow, before the Whites end the season with a trip to Bristol Manor Farm on Saturday.