ONE man has died and another is in a serious condition after an explosion at a factory near Salisbury.

A 29-year-old man from Southampton died after the explosion yesterday (Friday) and was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Police say his family have been informed and are being supported by specialist trained family liaison officers. Formal identification has not yet taken place. 

Police, ambulance and fire crews were called to the Chemring Plant on High Post Road, Netton, just after 5pm yesterday (August 10) following a report of an explosion at the site.

Six fire crews were in attendance, with two appliances from Salisbury, as well as appliances from Andover, Fordingbridge, Pewsey and Cranborne, supported by an incident command vehicle from Devizes.  

A second man, aged 26, from Pewsey, was taken to Salisbury District Hospital in a serious condition.

His condition remains serious but stable and he is receiving specialist care. 

An investigation has been launched into the cause of the incident by the police and the Health and Safety Executive.

Detective Inspector Simon Pope said: “We are working closely with the Health and Safety Executive on this investigation to determine the cause of the explosion and our enquiries will be continuing at the site today (Saturday). A cordon remains in place at the site while investigators carry out their enquiries.

“We would like to reassure the public that this incident was contained as soon as possible and there is no risk to those living in the local area.

“Our thoughts remain with those involved in this incident, as well as their family, friends and colleagues at this time."

Police say the incident is not linked to the ongoing Amesbury major incident. 

Chemring’s business director, Andy Hogben, said in a statement earlier: "Chemring Group PLC confirms that at approximately 5pm on Friday August 10 an incident occurred in a flare manufacturing building at the Chemring Countermeasures factory near Salisbury.

"There has been one fatality and one employee is currently receiving treatment in hospital.

"The site was immediately evacuated and the incident brought under control. The emergency services are in attendance.

"Chemring has launched an investigation into the cause of the incident. The thoughts and support of Chemring Group are with the families at this time."