A FIRE in a first floor bedroom of a house in Ludgershall is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette. 

Firefighters from Ludgershall, Andover and Whitchurch were called to the incident at a mid-terrace property in Andover Road yesterday morning (Thursday, December 13).

The fire was reported to Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service just before 9am.

Three people in the house had managed to escape safely from the property before firefighters arrived. 

A spokesman for the fire service said the fire is believed to have started accidentally from a dropped or discarded cigarette.

The first floor of the property was badly damaged and the ground floor has been affected by water damage leaving the house uninhabitable. 

Firefighters left the scene just before 10am.