A DARREN Mullings brace saw Salisbury shock opposition two leagues above them and book a place in the second round of the FA Trophy at the Ray Mac on Tuesday night, with a 2-1 win.

Braintree Town currently sit bottom of the National League and came into the match without a win in three, against a Salisbury side unbeaten in eight.

It was the third time the match been attempted, after two postponements from a waterlogged pitch.

The win was no less than the home side deserved, the Whites were the better side throughout the match.

They made a positive start, creating several chances early on, and took the lead just after 20 minutes, when Benson sent in a cross for Mullings, who flicked the ball with his heel into the corner of the net.

The lead did not last long though, and out of nowhere, just before the half hour mark, Allen came up with a sensational equaliser for The Iron.

Collecting the ball several yards outside the box, Allen was left challenged, and sent a swerving, powerful effort which moved away from Hallett, hitting the inside of the post and in.

Salisbury could’ve retaken the lead on a few occasions before half time, with Whelan and Fitchett both denied by the keeper.

The Whites came flying out of the blocks in the second half. Fitchett and Dawson both had good chances to score almost immediately from the restart, and Mullings appeared to block a shot from one of his own teammates on the Braintree goal line, which was then called for offside and a free-kick awarded to the visitors.

Mullings made amends for the error with a superb goal to restore Salisbury’s lead with 67 minutes on the clock.

Benson sent in an excellent delivery from a free kick just inside the Braintree half, and Mullings, being pulled to the floor by his marker, managed to wrap his foot around the ball and curled it powerfully into the bottom corner.

Mullings was also denied a hat trick with less than three minutes to go when a header was cleared off the line.

In Chairman Ian Hammond’s programme notes before the match, he explained how he had made a New Year’s resolution to not get stressed at Whites’ matches after the 85th minute, but he did not have much to stress about on Tuesday night, as the home side comfortably saw out the match to book their place in the next round, away at Carshalton Athletic on Saturday afternoon.