THIS week’s photograph is provided by Joe Henry. Mr Henry’s establishment, The Fisherton Warehouse, now stands on the site once occupied by the furnishers Case and Sons.

When Harry Case started the firm of Case and Sons in Fisherton Street in 1884, horses and carts were used to make deliveries and carry out furniture removals.

The business flourished and by the late 1960’s it was the oldest firm of removers, storers, and furnishers in the city.

Time then brought a change. The removal and storage department was taken over by Neals, of Bayswater, a private firm, who continued the business as Case and Sons with temporary offices in Endless Street. Mr and Mrs Robert Case still ran the furnishing business in Fisherton Street.

Robert Case was the son of Mr EJ Case who, with his brother, Mr B Case, joined their father in the business in 1908. In 1910, the firm became the first in Salisbury to replace horses and carts with stream driven haulage vans. Two years later, there was another change with the introduction of two steam Foden pantechnicons. Motor vans, fitted with solid tyres, replaced these in 1916.

Robert Case entered the business in 1928, but left a year later to work in the west country. During the Second World War, he served as an officer in the National Fire Service, and in 1946 entered into partnership with his father when his uncle, Bertram Case, retired.

On the death of Mr EL Case in 1965, Robert took over, and he and his wife Phyllis remained in charge through many changes.

A major development came in 1966. The firm became the first in Salisbury to undertake removals to the continent via the Southampton-Le Havre night ferry. They could guarantee to carry out a removal to Paris, and be back in Salisbury within 48 hours – the firm’s shipping department sent goods all over the world.