A HOVERBOARD is believed to have sparked a fire at Sandy Balls Holiday Village in Godshill.

Firefighters, including crews from Fordingbridge, Ringwood and Eastleigh, were called to the incident which was reported at 7.15pm on Monday.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "The most likely cause of the fire is at this time thought to be a lithium battery powered hoverboard."

A dry powder extinguisher was used to put out the fire.

The incident was dealt with by about 8.30pm.

Clare Watkins, the general manager of Sandy Balls Holiday Village, said: "Sandy Balls Holiday Village would like to reassure our guests that the cause of the small fire yesterday (18 March), which was just black smoke, was a minor malfunction in a hoverboard that was no longer being used in activities at the park.

"This activity stopped in 2017 at the park. We have contacted Trading Standards about the hoverboards and are removing them from the park."

She thanked firefighters for the speed in which they responded to the call and "for their help in taking control of the very small incident".