A FORMER Amesbury man has been fined after giving his waste to a "man with a van" who then fly-tipped it in the Wiltshire countryside.

Adrian Collingwood, who now lives in Swindon, was ordered to pay £1,970 in fines, costs and victim surcharge after failing to check that the waste collector had a licence

On Monday, May 20 at Salisbury Magistrates' Court, he admitted failing to ensure his waste was lawfully transferred to a legitimate waste carrier.

He claimed he had given his waste to a "man with a van" who knocked on his door asking for scrap metal.

The court heard he failed to check the driver had a licence to carry waste and had failed to record vehicle details or where the waste would be disposed.

This information would have helped officers trace the fly-tipper.

Wiltshire Council environmental enforcement officers tracked the rubbish back to Mr Collingwood after it was dumped in a layby and field in Winterbourne Monkton near Swindon.

Bridget Wayman, Wiltshire Council's cabinet member for highways, transport and waste, said: “Residents and businesses have a legal duty of care in ensuring their waste is disposed of properly and legally. Residents and businesses should be wary about people door knocking asking to remove waste.

“We would also urge caution about using a "man with a van’ or similar adverts on social media to dispose of waste without making all the necessary checks and writing down the waste carrier’s licence number.”

Householders and businesses have a duty to ensure their waste is transferred to authorised persons.

To prevent waste being fly-tipped:

• Check that the person they pass their waste to is an authorised carrier by visiting environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-waste-carriers-brokers, or by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506506.

• Ensure the person who is taking the waste has an upper tier waste carriers licence.

• Note the make, model, colour and registration number of any vehicle taking the waste away and also note a description of the person(s) removing the waste.

• Ask for a receipt detailing where the waste is going and the waste carrier’s licence number.

• If it involves scrap metal collection, check that the person who is taking the waste has an upper tier waste carriers licence and a scrap metal collectors licence issued by Wiltshire Council.

Residents can report fly-tipping online by visiting wiltshire.gov.uk/mywiltshire-online-reporting or calling 0300 456 0100.