A FAULT with newly installed solar panels caused a fire to break out at a primary school this afternoon.

Firefighters from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service fought the roof fire at Bulford St Leonard's Primary School following a call at 12.55pm.

A statement from the school read: "A small localised fire occurred on the roof of the new building at approximately 1pm today at Bulford St. Leonards’ Primary School. 

"The fire was caused by an electrical issue with solar panels on the new building. 

"All emergency procedures were implemented quickly and efficiently, and all children and staff were evacuated safely.

"Wiltshire & Dorset Fire and Rescue Services attended and quickly brought the fire under control, to enable further clean-up work all children were sent home for the remainder of the day.

"Thank you to all staff, children and parents for such a swift and calm response which enabled the situation to be dealt with quickly."

The school will be open as usual tomorrow.

As reported, crews from Amesbury, Andover, and Salisbury, plus an aerial ladder platform from Salisbury attended the incident.