A MAN was rescued by firefighters after a fire involving burnt cooking happened in Salisbury during the early hours of this morning.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue were called by a member of the public about an alarm going off in a neighbouring property in Wessex Road just after 2am this morning (Thursday, October 17).

Two fire crews from Salisbury Fire Station were sent to the scene and on arrival were unable to make contact with the occupier.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "Access was gained to the property via a bedroom window and a male was rescued from the property using a short extension ladder.

"The male was suffering smoke inhalation following a fire involving burnt cooking and was left in the care of the ambulance service."