Fifteen people found in the back of a lorry last night are currently in custody, Wiltshire Police has confirmed.

Officers were called by a member of the public shortly before 8.30pm yesterday regarding a lorry travelling on the A350 near Chippenham.

READ MORE: Arrest after 15 people found in back of lorry in Wiltshire

Officers attended the scene and 15 people – all believed to be males aged between 16 and 30 – were located in the rear of the vehicle. At this stage, officers say they are not clear on their nationalities.

Ambulance crews carried out initial medical checks on all those located - 14 were deemed fit and well and were taken to custody suites in Melksham and Swindon.

One person was taken to the Great Western Hospital in Swindon as a precaution but was later taken to custody.

All 15 men have been arrested on suspicion of entering the UK illegally.

The driver of the vehicle, a man his 50s, from Ireland, was arrested on suspicion of assisting illegal entry into the country. He also remains in custody for further questioning.

Duty Superintendent Steve Cox said: “Members of the public would have noticed a large number of emergency services in the vicinity of the A350 last night while we dealt with this incident and the road was closed for approximately four hours while we carried out enquiries at the scene and recovery was arranged for the lorry, which was a hard-sided large goods vehicle.

“We are working closely with partner agencies as we conduct further enquiries – I fully understand that recent tragic events elsewhere in the country will mean there will be increased interest and heightened concern regarding this incident.

“I’d like to thank all emergency services who responded last night – as with all incidents, we didn’t know the scale of what we would potentially be dealing with and all first responders showed true professionalism at the scene.

“I would also like to extend my thanks to the vigilant member of the public who initially reported this incident to us – it is thanks to them that this incident was resolved swiftly and safely with no serious casualties.”