A "popular and kind" amateur Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighter has died after she suffered a brain injury during a bout on Saturday night.

Saeideh Aletaha, 26 of Salisbury, was rushed to hospital after sustaining the critical injury at an Fast and Furious Fight Series (FFS) event in Southampton.

However, despite the efforts of medical staff at Southampton General Hospital, she died as a result of her injuries on Sunday surrounded by friends and family.

Now tributes have been paid to the 26-year-old, who trained at Stonehenge CrossFit for more than three years.

Taking to social media, the gym's page labelled Sai as "popular, kind and liked by everyone in the community".

The post added: "She was consistent with everyone; you knew you would be greeted with a smile, an embrace and conversation beyond the, ‘Hi, how are you?’.

"She cared."

The post continued: "Everyone seemed to matter. She took a genuine interest in how people were. And Sai helped people from our community far beyond ‘the box’. As a talented artist and graphic designer, she assisted several members with their businesses and careers because she wanted to help.

"Well-liked doesn’t do her justice."

Salisbury Journal:


A post on Southampton's Lookborai gym's Facebook page said: "Following the show Saturday we regret to announce that one of our team mates unfortunately suffered an injury leaving her in a critical condition that she tragically will not recover from.

"Saeideh Aletaha was a lovely character with a beautiful soul. Her dedication to the sport was 110% travelling miles every day just to train.

"She found her place with us just a few months ago but has become a part of the family and will be sorely missed.

"This news comes as a devastating blow to us all at the gym and the whole community. Our thoughts and [prayers] go out to her family."

A South Central Ambulance Service spokesman said an ambulance was sent to Central Hall to answer a call shortly after 8.50pm on Saturday reporting that a participant in a martial arts event had collapsed.

A statement from Hampshire Police said: "We were called shortly before 1am on Sunday November 17 by colleagues at Southampton General Hospital informing us of a woman who was being treated in hospital for a life-threatening brain injury.

"The woman, aged 26, died in hospital later that day.

"Inquiries into exactly what happened are ongoing. Next of kin have been informed."

A post on the event's Facebook page said: "All competitors get in prepared that they may be injured and this is something not expected to happen 99.9% of the time.

"But, it can and in this we make the environment as safe as possible with pre and post medicals from a doctor, and full medical cover throughout with doctor, paramedic and ambulance on site alongside our experienced team of staff with numerous first aiders, safety is not something ever skimped on in any of our 19 shows and all matches are made equal.

"Thoughts of course go out to all family, friends and team mates, if anyone needs any support please come to us or your coaches.

"Thank you to our team on the night who acted with utmost professionalism and carried their duties out above and beyond to react to the situation, and again we are here for any of you that needs it in this sad time."