A MAN left his girlfriend injured in a car after crashing into a tree during a high-speed police chase.

Jack Mason drove at speeds of up to 90mph as he tried to escape from pursuing officers in the New Forest.

He was captured on the police car's camera taking corners at speed, ignoring junctions and travelling on the wrong side of the road in a bid to evade the police.

But his dangerous driving was brought to an abrupt halt when he crashed into a tree.

Mason jumped out of the vehicle, leaving his injured girlfriend in the car, before attempting to run on foot.

Today, at Southampton Crown Court, Mason was jailed by Judge Gary Burrell QC, who labelled the 28-year-old's actions as "cowardly".

The court heard that Mason, of Totton, was behind the wheel of his girlfriend’s Audi A1 when he was spotted speeding by police just after midnight on New Year’s Day.

Officers in an unmarked car gave chase after Mason's vehicle came speeding towards them in the opposite direction on Salisbury Road, Totton.

Despite being signalled to stop, the Audi continued to drive at speeds of up to 90mph through the New Forest.

The pursuit lasted for more than six minutes and only ended when Mason lost control of the Audi and it crashed into a tree.

Mason fled from the scene, leaving his girlfriend in the car with minor injuries.

Forensic investigations linked Mason to being in the driving seat, though he denied being the driver of the vehicle.

Mason, of Shakespeare Drive, Totton, denied dangerous driving, but was found guilty following a trial at Southampton Crown Court.

Representing Mason, Christopher Gaiger asked Judge Burrell to consider a suspended sentence, citing Mason's mental health issues and issues with crack-cocaine.

But Judge Burrell said the offence was "too serious" to suspend a prison sentence.

He said also hit out at Mason's decision not to plead guilty to the offence in the light of the "overwhelming evidence" against him.

Judge Burrell said: "He [Mason] lied through his teeth all the way through the trial.

"Had he pleaded guilty he may have had a chance, but it is too late now. The evidence against him was overwhelming.

"He crashed the car and then ran off like a coward, leaving his passenger in the car with injuries."

Mason was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison, disqualified from driving for 18-month and must take an extended re-test.