TWO people were rescued from a house fire by firefighters at an East Dorset property - while a third escaped using a ladder provided by a neighbour.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service received a 999 call from a property in Little Dewlands at 11.37pm last night (Wednesday, March 4), where smoke from the fire was spreading through the hallway and up the stairs.

Fire engines from Verwood, Ringwood, Cranborne and Ferndown attended the scene and tackled a developed fire in the kitchen.

The fire service reported that one person escaped the property using a ladder provided by a neighbour while two others were helped by the fire service.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze using breathing apparatus, hose reel jets and positive pressure ventilation.

The two people rescued by firefighters were taken to hospital as a precaution after suffering from smoke inhalation.

Salisbury Journal:

Picture: Verwood Fire Station Facebook 

Volunteers from the British Red Cross emergency support service also attended to help the affected family.

A spokesperson for Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "At 11.37pm fire control received a call from the occupant of a property reporting a fire within the house.

"The caller was unable to exit the property due to the fire, so the fire control operator stayed on the phone providing fire survival guidance whilst mobilising crews (Verwood, Cranborne, Ringwood and Ferndown) to the scene.

"During the call, a neighbour provided a ladder which allowed the caller to escape from the property.

"Fire crews then arrived on scene and assisted a further two people from the property, one being rescued from the first floor via a ladder, and the other being released from the ground floor by using breaking in tools," the spokesperson added.

"Two casualties were conveyed to hospital as a precaution.

"The fire, which was located in the kitchen, was extinguished using two hose reel jets, six breathing apparatus and positive pressure ventilation.

"The British Red Cross were also mobilised to provide support to the occupants. All crews are now clear of the scene."

The fire is believed to have started in the refrigerator and the fire service says working smoke alarms helped save the family.

Station manager Graham Kewley said: “This house was fitted with hardwired smoke alarms, which had only been checked recently, and these alerted the family to the fire. I have no doubt that this saved their lives, and I would urge everyone to make sure that they have working smoke alarms fitted – and to test them regularly. The rapid spread of smoke throughout the property is a reminder of the importance of keeping internal doors closed at night, and we would always recommend that people have an escape plan for their home, should the worst happen.”

Anyone interested in becoming an on-call firefighter in East Dorset can attend a ‘have a go’ event being hosted at Verwood fire station on Tuesday (March 10) between 7pm and 9pm.