A THREE year old boy died after choking on a piece of food, an inquest opening heard.

On the evening on April 21, Elwood Lewis Kyles, of Alderbury, had been playing in the garden around an hour after eating dinner.

Just moments later, Elwood was discovered lying on the floor next to his bicycle in an unresponsive state, senior coroner David Ridley told the court in Salisbury.

He was rushed to Southampton General Hospital, and transferred to the intensive care unit.

The three year old passed away the following day.

A cause of death was determined as multi organ failure, out-of-hospital cardiac arrest, and choking.

The inquest was adjourned for more evidence to be gathered.

It will be concluded, with a verdict reached, at a hearing before the end of June. A date has yet to be set.