A PROPERTY in Durrington with no working smoke alarms has been gutted by a fire started by an unattended candle.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service were called out this morning at 9.30am to a domestic fire on Bulford Road.

Two crews from Salisbury and one from Amesbury attended the incident and found that a blaze had broken out on the ground and first floors of a terraced property.

Pictures shared on social media show the extensive damage caused to the property. However, as some doors downstairs had been closed, the damage had been reduced, Amesbury Fire Station said in a Facebook post.

A spokesperson from the fire service confirmed that the fire was started accidentally by an unattended candle.

It was put out by four breathing apparatus wearers using three main lines and two hose reel jets by 11am.

All persons were accounted for and no one was hurt. 

A spokesperson from Amesbury Fire Station said: "Please make sure you have working smoke alarms and keep all doors shut when you leave your property or go to bed at night."