THE Whites came from two goals down to secure a draw against high-flying Poole Town.

A sold-out Ray Mac welcomed the Dolphins, who had won all three of their previous league fixtures so far this season, and saw a thrilling match.

Town were the better of the two sides at the start of the game, having two decent chances and an early penalty within the opening three minutes.

It took just six minutes for the visitors to take the lead - a free kick right on the edge of the box was taken by Greenwood, who tried to sneak it under the wall.

The ball was deflected and fell to Whisken - who had an excellent game - and he made no mistake to give his side the lead.

Salisbury Journal: Poole Town fansPoole Town fans

The Whites almost respond immediately through Diaz in off the left, but his effort was just wide of the left hand post, before Whisken tried to lob Armstrong with a free kick from half-way.

Ex-Poole man Marvin Brooks had an excellent chance to equalise in the 17th minute - great work moving upfield by Roberts before a defence splitting pass – but Brooks’ first touch let him down and the keeper cleared up.

Benson then had a chance only seconds later – it took more than a quarter of an hour but Salisbury started to grow into the game.

It then looked like Salisbury were about to score, but a last-ditch challenge from Corby Moore saved his side. Huge penalty shouts were waved away by the referee, leading to a counter attack from Poole, but Greenwood skied it. Jefferies then went in the the book for dissent.

The Dolphins doubled their lead with a spot kick just after half an hour.

Tony Lee went around the keeper and Armstrong brought him down. Lee then stepped up and converted the spot kick to give his side a 2-0 lead at half time.

Salisbury Journal:

Salisbury were in charge as the first half came to a close, and looked to pick up where they left off.

Poole had a great chance to make 3-0 and game over on the counter, but it was poor from Lee who, instead of shooting, tried to find Burbridge who was unnecessarily offside.

On the hour mark, new signing Vaughn Covil replaced Knowles, and Jefferies was replaced by Baker.

Substitute Baker had an instant impact, pulling a goal back on 68 minutes.

Salisbury Journal: Steve ClaridgeSteve Claridge

It was a bit of a scrappy goal in truth - crossed from the left hand side, headed down by Brooks on the right-hand side, and Baker was alert to poke it in.

Lee had another chance to make it safe for his side, but a last-gasp challenge from Kennedy prevented the goal.

The Whites continued to pile on the pressure in the search for an equaliser, and it came with just a minute of regular time left.

A Diaz corner came in, and Marvin Brooks scored with a glancing header

Salisbury Journal:

Covil had the chance to win it with virtually the last kick of the game, falling kindly to him just inside the area, but his left footed effort went wide of the bar.


BEMERTON progressed into the next round of the Wessex League Cup with a 3-1 win over Christchurch.

The impressive Rafa Ramos got things underway for Bemerton, scoring from just outside the box.

Salisbury Journal: Rafa Ramos finds the back of the net. Picture by Dave Cavanagh Rafa Ramos finds the back of the net. Picture by Dave Cavanagh

Christchurch were then awarded a penalty, but smashed it against the bar. 1-0 at half time.

Bemerton got their own penalty in the second half, Justin Bennett converting. Bennett went on to score his second, Bemerton's third.

Christchurch scored near the death with a consolation goal. Full time score - 3-1

Salisbury Journal: Justin Bennett is taken down after scoring his second. Picture by Dave CavanaghJustin Bennett is taken down after scoring his second. Picture by Dave Cavanagh

AMESBURY Town lost 1-0 away to Portland UNited in the Wessex League Premier Division, and in Division 1, Downton lost 3-0 to Fawley, and Laverstock and Ford drew 2-2 with Andover Town.