A MAN had to be evacuated after a fire broke out in the living room of a Salisbury home.

The incident on Hollows Close in Harnham was reported to Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service this morning (Monday, October 26) at 7.55.

Two crews from Salisbury attended along with a crew from Fordingbridge. 

A statement from the fire service said: "Crews have attended a fire in the living room of a domestic property in Salisbury, one adult male was evacuated from the second floor by fire crews and treated by the ambulance service on scene."

South Westerm Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust said: "We responded to a call received at 8.07am about an incident at an address in Salisbury."

Two hose reel jets and one main jet were used to put the fire out. The fire was dealt with just before 9am. 

The fire is believed to have started accidentally from a discarded cigarette. 

A post on the Salisbury Fire Station Facebook page said: "Please make sure when smoking that you discard of your cigarettes safely and make sure they are extinguished. Also please ensure that you have working smoke alarms within the property, this will give you the best chance to exit the property safely and as early as possible."