The following local authority areas will move to Tier 3 from Thursday, according to the Department of Health.

  • Rutland
  • Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin
  • Worcestershire (Bromsgrove, Malvern Hills, Redditch, Worcester, Wychavon, Wyre Forest)
  • Herefordshire
  • Liverpool City Region (Halton, Knowsley, Liverpool, Sefton, Wirral, St Helens)
  • York and North Yorkshire (Scarborough, Hambleton, Richmondshire, Selby, Craven, Ryedale, Harrogate, City of York)
  • Bath and North East Somerset
  • Devon, Plymouth, Torbay (East Devon, Exeter, Mid Devon, North Devon, South Hams, Teignbridge, Torridge, West Devon, Plymouth, Torbay)
  • Cornwall
  • Dorset
  • Wiltshire

For those of you who are wondering what you can do in Tier 3 and Tier 4, here's a reminder.

1 - Meeting family and friends

In Tier 3 - very high alert - people cannot socialise indoors with anybody they don't live with or don't have a support bubble with.

But, you can see friends and family you do not live with (or do not have a support bubble with) in some outdoor public places, in a group of up to 6.

In Tier 4 - stay at home - people cannot socialise indoors with family or friends, unless they are part of your household or support bubble.

You can exercise or visit a public outdoor place with 1 person from another household if you are alone.

2 - Pubs, bars and restaurants

In Tier 3 and 4, venues must close except for takeaway, delivery and click and collect services.

Food and alcohol can be ordered up until 11pm.

3 - Shops, entertainment and hairdressers

In Tier 3, the Government website states: "Retail premises may open, other than shops situated inside closed premises that cannot be accessed directly from the street."

Personal care and close contact services, such as hairdressers, barbers and beauty salons can remain open.

Indoor entertainment venues, such as cinemas, theatres and concert halls must close in both tiers.

In Tier 4, non-essential retail, such as clothing and homeware stores, must close.

Personal care services must also shut.

4 - Travelling

In Tier 3, the public is advised to avoid travelling outside of their area, including for overnight stays.

In Tier 4, people must stay at home and not leave their Tier 4 area.

Some exceptions for travelling in both tiers are for work, education and to visit your support bubble.

5 - Overnight stays

Tier 3 states people should avoid staying overnight outside of their area.

Meanwhile, the Government states anyone in Tier 4 cannot leave their home for holidays or overnight stays, unless they have a reasonable excuse.

This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed.

6 - Weddings, funerals and worship

In Tier 3, weddings and civil partnership ceremonies can resume, but with only 15 guests and receptions are banned.

Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies shouldn't happen in Tier 4, except in exceptional circumstances.

In both tiers, 30 people can attend funerals, but only 15 will be allowed to attend a wake in Tier 3, while this is reduced to 6 in Tier 4.

In Tier 3 and 4, places of worship can reopen, but people must not interact with anyone outside their household or support bubble.

The areas to go into Tier 4, according to the Department of Health, are:

  • The city of Leicester
  • Leicestershire (Oadby and Wigston, Harborough, Hinckley and Bosworth, Blaby, Charnwood, North West Leicestershire, Melton)
  • Lincolnshire (City of Lincoln, Boston, South Kesteven, West Lindsey, North Kesteven, South Holland, East Lindsey)
  • Northamptonshire (Corby, Daventry, East Northamptonshire, Kettering, Northampton, South Northamptonshire, Wellingborough)
  • Derby and Derbyshire (Derby, Amber Valley, South Derbyshire, Bolsover, North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield, Erewash, Derbyshire Dales, High Peak)
  • Nottingham and Nottinghamshire (Gedling, Ashfield, Mansfield, Rushcliffe, Bassetlaw, Newark and Sherwood, Broxtowe)
  • Birmingham and Black Country (Dudley, Birmingham, Sandwell, Walsall, Wolverhampton)
  • Coventry
  • Solihull
  • Warwickshire (Rugby, Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwick, North Warwickshire, Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent (East Staffordshire, Stafford, South Staffordshire, Cannock Chase, Lichfield, Staffordshire Moorlands, Newcastle under Lyme, Tamworth, Stoke-on-Trent)
  • Lancashire (Burnley, Pendle, Blackburn with Darwen, Ribble Valley, Blackpool, Preston, Hyndburn, Chorley, Fylde, Lancaster, Rossendale, South Ribble, West Lancashire, Wyre)
  • Cheshire and Warrington (Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Warrington)
  • Cumbria (Eden, Carlisle, South Lakeland, Barrow-in-Furness, Copeland, Allerdale)
  • Greater Manchester (Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan)
  • Tees Valley (Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees )
  • North East (County Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, South Tyneside, Sunderland)
  • Gloucestershire (Gloucester, Forest of Dean, Cotswolds, Tewkesbury, Stroud, Cheltenham)
  • Somerset Council (Mendip, Sedgemoor, Somerset West and Taunton, South Somerset)
  • Swindon
  • Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole
  • Isle of Wight
  • New Forest