A BIRDS nest behind a gas burner led to firefighters being called out to a blaze in Amesbury on Monday night, January 11.

Two Salisbury fire crews from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to a chimney fire at a property on Lyndhurst Road at around 6.10pm.

The crews used a chimney kit to put out the fire and installed smoke detectors at the home.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: “Two crews from Salisbury used a chimney kit to extinguish a fire involving a birds nest behind a gas burner.

“The neighbouring property was checked for fire spread as a precaution and the crew also fitted smoke detectors for the affected property.

“Wilton crew provided fire cover in the Salisbury area for the duration of the incident.”